Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Curious Case of the iPod Photo Cache

This morning I logged-on to find that I had an extra 20GB of free space on my hard drive! Comparing my Mac HD to my CCC backup, I traced the discrepancy to the iPhoto Library (i.e. the backup file was 20GB bigger than the today's version).

Then I opened the backup iPhoto and compared it to today's. Everything was the same: same number of events, same number of photos, and same number of photos in Trash.

Then I clicked on Show Package Contents for both versions of iPhoto Library and the culprit was a sub folder called iPod Photo Cache – which last week was 20GB in size, and is now just six MB.

So I'd like to ask: Does anyone know what just happened? Or what the iPod Photo Cache is? My instinct is to be wary. Is there anything I should do? Or should I just be happy with my extra 20GB.

btw I haven't used an iPod for years and I never stored photos on it.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 3:57 AM

1 reply

The Curious Case of the iPod Photo Cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.