Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 mute button won't mute

Hi,

My iPhone 6 mute button is not working correctly, it's showing as set to silent on the screen but I can still hear sounds as normal.

I also don't see the volume level anymore when changing it.

Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 5:48 AM

2 replies

Oct 8, 2014 7:53 AM in response to Dub86Nut

Hey Dub86Nut,

Thanks for the question. Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like you are still hearing some sounds when your Ring/Silent switch is toggled. This may be expected behavior depending on the source of the sound. For more information, see the following:

Ring/Silent switch - iPhone

http://help.apple.com/iphone/8/#/iph3bd01398

Important: Clock alarms, audio apps such as Music, and many games play sounds through the built-in speaker, even when iPhone is in silent mode. In some areas, the sound effects for Camera and Voice Memos are played, even if the Ring/Silent switch is set to silent.

For information about changing sound and vibration settings, see Sounds and silence.

In some cases, you may not see a volume slider in apps or Control Center, or no volume bars when you adjust volume with buttons. If you are experiencing this symptom, see the following resource for troubleshooting information:

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5180

Thanks,

Matt M.

May 28, 2016 4:32 AM in response to Matt_M.

What's the point of having a toggle switch for volume "off/on" if the thing does not actually do that 'in some cases'? That's a horrible design flaw of the iPhone 6s that Apple Corp is ignoring. Not to mention how annoying and inconvenient this is. I consider ithis a major flaw despite your trying to minimize it.

iPhone 6 mute button won't mute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.