Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orphaned data ending up as "Other" and filling all available free space

Hi, I have an iPhone 4s (64Gb) and have been happily syncing with iTunes 11.4 while on iOS 7, which includes roughly 40Gb of music, 5Gb of apps, and 5Gb of photos that I like to carry around. Since the iOS 8 upgrade, however, I've noticed that syncing was a little slower, especially during the initial "waiting for sync to start" and final "waiting for changes to be applied" steps. I didn't think too much of it, as it generally would complete the steps, eventually.

Last week I had a particularly large music change (and subsequent data update) and got impatient during the longer-than-usual wait time during sync. So in the middle of the sync I changed my music selections to reduce the amount of data requiring transfer and hit the 'sync' button again, with the idea it would simplify the data exchange and get me out the door quicker. Unfortunately the opposite happened. Suddenly ALL of my music switched from "Audio" data (in blue on the data graph within iTunes) to "Other" data (in yellow). When I explored the music app on the phone, the music was completely gone, zero songs, although the playlists were still present. Clearly the file list had become corrupted somehow.

When I re-synced no change occurred to this "Other" data, including when I removed all music selections, or changed things slightly, and re-synced. And because there was now 40Gb of orphaned data in the phone, when I attempted to re-add my music I was told there was not enough space on the device. Additional info:

1. When viewing Settings - Usage, the amount of music data displayed was exactly what it "thought" was on the phone, in other words, when I had unselected all the music and synced, it thought there was no music files present.
  2. When viewing Settings - Usage, there was no indication in the list of items of any large files or groups of files - it was as if this "Other" data was hidden from the knowledge of this Usage feature.
  3. Turning off/on the phone made no difference to this "Other" data
  4. Unselecting all data in iTunes and syncing, then re-selecting the data, made no difference to this "Other" data
  5. Restoring from the latest backup made no difference because the latest backup was AFTER this problem had occurred, so it simply restored 40Gb of "Other" data as well as all the other settings.

The only solution I could think of was to restore the phone entirely, which I did. I went through a complete refresh from scratch over the past couple days, and was just beginning to enjoy the phone once again when it happened again. Again!! Although I was very careful over the past couple days to not interrupt the sync process wantonly, I did have to stop it once, and I think that's what killed it for me. While it was syncing just this past time, I hit the 'Cancel' icon in iTunes to cancel the sync, and even hit the 'Eject' icon to safely eject the device, and it choked. I now once again have about 40Gb of orphaned "Other" data which is clogging the phone, and no apparent way to clean this up.

To summarize:

It appears for the iPhone 4s on iOS 8 any interruption of the sync process (either "safely" by hitting the 'Cancel' icon or 'Sync' button or more roughly by pulling the phone out of the dock) can jeopardize your data on the phone, creating orphaned files and thereby an usually large amount of "Other" data that is impossible to clean up.

Any ideas on how to fix this besides doing a complete restore would be greatly appreciated. I could go through the hassle of restoring again, but I have no faith it won't happen once again either sooner or later.

Kind regards,

Brian

iPhone 4S, iOS 8, 64Gb

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 8:05 AM

An excellent description of the problem I have been struggling with over the past few days on BOTH my iPhone 4s 64gb and my iPad 2 also 64 gb. Somehow I managed to get the iPad working after a restore, but I could not get the phone right, it continually did exactly what Brian describes. I then tried to set up as a new phone, but still had the same problems. In the end, what I did was set up again as a new phone and synch all apps, photos and music separately, and even then only did the synch in small chunks in each of those areas. Finally I got everything back on, but there is clearly an issue / bug with all of this.

The interruption of synching is certainly an issue as Brian describes, and I suspect from my experience trying to synch a lot of volume at once may also cause a problem. For example, with the apps iTunes would seem to get stuck on copying one. When I looked at that particular app on the device, it had already been loaded and the synching had simply not moved on to the next app. In that case, I had to eject, and start again, this time manually selecting just a few apps at a time. This worked but was an extremely time consuming process, but that made me decide to do the same with the music and pics, which took forever, but got them all back. I'm now more than a little nervous about synching either device again - I have to hope someone is working on this and will resolve it soon, and that this is not a low priority because "older" devices are involved.

Sorry, I have no actual answer to the problem, Brian, but I hope that this post might help someone else who has the time to spend get their device back up an running at least, until someone sorts it out.

Andy

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2014 8:05 AM in response to briborg

An excellent description of the problem I have been struggling with over the past few days on BOTH my iPhone 4s 64gb and my iPad 2 also 64 gb. Somehow I managed to get the iPad working after a restore, but I could not get the phone right, it continually did exactly what Brian describes. I then tried to set up as a new phone, but still had the same problems. In the end, what I did was set up again as a new phone and synch all apps, photos and music separately, and even then only did the synch in small chunks in each of those areas. Finally I got everything back on, but there is clearly an issue / bug with all of this.

The interruption of synching is certainly an issue as Brian describes, and I suspect from my experience trying to synch a lot of volume at once may also cause a problem. For example, with the apps iTunes would seem to get stuck on copying one. When I looked at that particular app on the device, it had already been loaded and the synching had simply not moved on to the next app. In that case, I had to eject, and start again, this time manually selecting just a few apps at a time. This worked but was an extremely time consuming process, but that made me decide to do the same with the music and pics, which took forever, but got them all back. I'm now more than a little nervous about synching either device again - I have to hope someone is working on this and will resolve it soon, and that this is not a low priority because "older" devices are involved.

Sorry, I have no actual answer to the problem, Brian, but I hope that this post might help someone else who has the time to spend get their device back up an running at least, until someone sorts it out.

Andy

Oct 18, 2014 11:31 PM in response to briborg

Hello,

I want also to report that I have the same problem and this problem is present with iTunes 12 sync wih an iOS 8.0.2 device. iTunes syncing is quite shisophrenic: sometimes it is in a good mood, but often it is very bad with "waiting for sync to start" or "waiting to apply changes" that can take may many hours! I had to interupt the waiting by clicking either on the "little x", and in so doing I get orphan files accumulated as Other. This syncing problem happens when I wish to remove some songs or albums. I would expect that removing tracks should be easy and not time consuming process.

I became very nervous when I start the sync with iTunes. I cannot expect to do sync in the morning before I go to the job, because it could take hours!

I think that temporary solution, till it is fixed by Apple, is to remove songs not via iTunes, but directly in the iPhone:

Settings --> General --> Usage --> Manage Storage (under STORAGE) --> Music and the click on Edit, which would give the option to delete songs of your choice.

Another problem is that iTunes report of free space is different than what iPhone shows under Genetral --> Usage.

Best regards,

Aleksandar

Oct 19, 2014 7:34 AM in response to Kalkas

I think that temporary solution, till it is fixed by Apple, is to remove songs not via iTunes, but directly in the iPhone:

Settings --> General --> Usage --> Manage Storage (under STORAGE) --> Music and the click on Edit, which would give the option to delete songs of your choice.

HI Aleksandar, thanks for the note and that's a good workaround. Mind-bendingly tedious, but good to know.

Oct 30, 2014 5:50 PM in response to briborg

This has been a nightmare for me since I got the new iPhone a fortnight ago and tried to get 60GB of music on there. And yes, interrupting the sync is the issue for me too - bang, whatever was still to sync immediately becomes 'Other' orphan data and no amount of syncing or resetting etc will remove it.

However, interrupting the sync can become necessary when it hangs on 'waiting for items to copy' for literally hours - being my work phone and all.Someties I have to interrupt if I'm going to make that business call or leave for that meeting. So Apple really does need to look at how we can safely interrupt a long sync without creating a nightmare for ourselves.

I've also noticed that the Preparing to Copy and Waiting form items to copy step MAY (I repeat MAY) be affected by whether there are any updates to Apps required. When I have had it working well, if it started hanging again I wold go into apps and lo and behold there are updates waiting. Download those, and the sync would move much quicker. But again, that doesn't help if I've had to interrupt the sync to do so - catch 22.

About to do the fourth full factory refresh in a fortnight. Beginning to regret getting the 128GB phone to replace the old iPod. That classic ipod never had any problems syncing every time!

Oct 31, 2014 7:16 AM in response to briborg

I'm observing the same problem (IOS8, IPhone 6 128GB with OSX Yosemite).

There is no way to delete the "other" space except by factory resetting & restoring the device.

This is a huge problem for me, since large playlists (about 100GB of music) don't sync properly and just stall at "waiting for changes to be applied" - aborting it then creates undeletable "other" space.

Right now I consider the syncing pretty much broken and unusable for these reasons. Please fix this ASAP, this is a pretty serious bug.

Nov 4, 2014 7:18 AM in response to theramblinggambler

I'm outraged by Apple's appalling fall from grace.

They can't seem to get basic syncing right. If Jobs were here today he'd remove the deadwood currently bringing the company down.

Utterly ridiculous. I've been with Apples since the beginning and never have there been so many bugs flying around.

If I have to restore my Apple devices one more time I shall publicly burn all of them.

Dec 1, 2014 10:10 AM in response to briborg

Hi all, thanks for your additions and your thoughts. I just updated to 8.1.1 (yes, it took me a few days to get around to this) and my 30+Gb of "Other" data that was corrupted and unusable space magically disappeared. As I type, I'm re-syncing thousands of songs and will apparently be music-enabled once again on this device. Just in time for my 6 Plus upgrade 😉

Looks like Apple came through for this issue, but please feel free to disagree if this latest release didn't fix your problems.

Kind regards,

Brian

Dec 23, 2014 5:15 AM in response to briborg

Same thing happened to me last night, did not change anything mid-sync, but did replace a large playlist with Christmas songs to listen at work today. Left it overnight to sync and when it was FUBAR this morning, there was not enough time for a reset. Needless to say, there is no music this morning, Christmas or otherwise.

Apple, this shoddy program is unbecoming of you. Get your **** together, there has been enough time to grieve. You used to say "software sells computers." Well, there is a flip-side to that coin: "Bugs sink platforms." There are too many alternatives for this to be tolerated for long.

Also, fix the mail spam filter bug, it's embarrassing.

Jason

P.S. The workaround above is a good idea, but I will not delete 3500 songs. One. At. A. Time...

Dec 27, 2014 9:18 AM in response to briborg

Hi guys,

This worked for me: http://www.ipodrepublic.com/fixing-issue-other-files-iphone-memory/

Seems like when you break the sync, your music still gets stored in a control folder. The above link shows you how to mount your iPhone volume and delete the offending data, at which point the Other data disappears and you can sync normally.

EDIT: PS. DiskAid is now iMazing and a free trial is available.

Orphaned data ending up as "Other" and filling all available free space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.