Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing M2ts files ....

Hello ,

Trying to get m2ts files into FCE and I've searched the forum and I'm still confused.

INFO:

The footage was shot to SD Card on a Sony HDR-CX430.

I'm trying to use files in a project formatted 1920x1080..

Transferred the m2ts footage to computer via flash drive and files play fine in QT but won't import to FCE or iMovie.

I downloaded FREE MTS M2TS CONVERTER and that opens them and converts them but there are so many choices of

what to convert them to I don't know what to choose.

First time I chose DVC Pro 1080i and they still won't import. Resulting file is an mp4.

FCE gives generic message: FILE ERROR, 1 file unrecognized, 0 access denied etc..,

it took 24hrs. to do one conversion of a 6 gig file so hoping someone can school me.

Option :

Would I have success if I hooked up camera straight to computer even though they are m2ts files or if Used a card reader ?

Thaks for any help,

Al

Desperate in Raleigh

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 8:03 AM

FCE only works with certain video types.

You need to transcode/convert your video to QuickTime. I suggest trying MPEG Streamclip (free) or if that doesn't work, use Clipwrap. I believe most people in this forum have had better experience with Clipwrap with M2ts files. Convert the video to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec, 1920x1080i60. Make sure in FCE that you have selected a corresponding Easy Setup & create a new sequence before importing the converted media. I suspect the correct Easy Setup will be AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec 1920x1080i60.

ps. If you shot the video in AVCHD mode you should be able to import directly from the camera (a better choice than converting). FCE will take care of the necessary transcoding during the Log & Transfer process. (Card reader will be the same scenario as what you are experiencing now with the M2ts video clips residing on your hard drive.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2014 8:03 AM in response to UCanCallMeAl

FCE only works with certain video types.

You need to transcode/convert your video to QuickTime. I suggest trying MPEG Streamclip (free) or if that doesn't work, use Clipwrap. I believe most people in this forum have had better experience with Clipwrap with M2ts files. Convert the video to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec, 1920x1080i60. Make sure in FCE that you have selected a corresponding Easy Setup & create a new sequence before importing the converted media. I suspect the correct Easy Setup will be AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec 1920x1080i60.

ps. If you shot the video in AVCHD mode you should be able to import directly from the camera (a better choice than converting). FCE will take care of the necessary transcoding during the Log & Transfer process. (Card reader will be the same scenario as what you are experiencing now with the M2ts video clips residing on your hard drive.)

Oct 6, 2014 8:45 AM in response to MartinR

Hey Martin,

When I tried MPEG Streamclip and did an import the m2ts was greyed out and the conversion file I got with the FREE M2ts converter gave an error when trying to import. The converted file ended in mp4 and I assumed that was QT. Will look in to clip wrap.

In my codec options with that free program (mentioned originally) I see DVC Pro and HDV and h264 but no AIC . Is AIC synomous with something else that might be an option in that program ? Or must it say AIC ?

The person who shot the video had a choice of m2ts and some other format for that cam but chose m2ts. (he's not a video guy) He's looking into converting it but I have a feeling he won't because it will take too much time. My understanding is that m2ts is a type of AVCHD and that FCE won't import it ? Do I have that wrong ? Are m2ts and AVCHD the same thing ?

Thanks a bunch,
Al

Oct 6, 2014 7:19 PM in response to UCanCallMeAl

FCE can only work with QuickTime/DV or Quicktime/Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). When you connect a compatible camera direct to your Mac and import directly from the camera into FCE, FCE takes care of any conversion that may be needed. (DV is basically just copied to a file; HDV and AVCHD video automatically transcoded to QT/AIC during import.)

When you have a disk with just .mts or .m2ts files by themselves you have to manually convert them to QT/AIC yourself. Your material is most likely widescreen and would appropriately have to be converted to QT/AIC. It sounds like your free converter program cannot do that.

MP4 is not QT. m2ts is a file type (think of it as a container); so is .mts; both can contain different types of video including AVCHD video. HDV, DVCPro, H.264 and AVCHD are different types of video (codecs).

The problem I suspect you are dealing with is that you have just the .m2ts files and not the complete AVCHD folder structure that the camera created when you shot the video. Clipwrap can work with 'bare' .m2ts files. Give it a try.

Oct 7, 2014 4:57 AM in response to MartinR

Alright Martin , that's super helpful.

True I only have the m2ts files and not the whole AVCHD folder.

Didn't know mp4 wasn't QT.

I think based on what you say is that if I have his camera and do an import (Log and Transfer) then I should be good to go. And that would be faster than any converter program like Clipwrap.

I'll get ahold of the camera and try this week and report back but will mark solved meanwhile.

Thanks,

Al

Importing M2ts files ....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.