Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.5 with camera raw 5.07 not showing .RW2 and DNG but showing .CR2 previews in finder

Even with the latest OS and latest camera raw, only my Canon raw image files display proper previews in the finder, and open properly with iPhoto and Photoshop. .RW2 and .DNG files will not show previews or open with iPhoto, and .RW2 files won't even open in Photoshop without being converted to DNG. I've combed the support community questions for over a year now, am tech support oriented, and am ready to throw in the towel. I've had this same problem with previous system versions and camera raw versions, so I know the solution lies with neither of the two.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 8:32 AM

It will depend on your camera model, if you can open the RAW files in iPhoto. the RAW support is camera specific, and not all Panasonic cameras are supported. Is your camera model on this list?

OS X Mavericks: Supported digital camera RAW formats

And not all dng files are supported either - it works with most DNG files generated from cameras that support this format and with DNG files generated by the Adobe DNG Converter with the “Convert to Linear Image” option turned off.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2014 8:32 AM in response to barkamaker

It will depend on your camera model, if you can open the RAW files in iPhoto. the RAW support is camera specific, and not all Panasonic cameras are supported. Is your camera model on this list?

OS X Mavericks: Supported digital camera RAW formats

And not all dng files are supported either - it works with most DNG files generated from cameras that support this format and with DNG files generated by the Adobe DNG Converter with the “Convert to Linear Image” option turned off.

Oct 6, 2014 10:25 AM in response to barkamaker

Which camera are you using?

My Lumix FZ28 is also not supported by iPhoto or Aperture. When I use Adobe DNG Converter to develop the RAW, I set the DNG Converter Preferences to the lowest possible compatibility version number - it works well with the setting "Camera Raw 2.4 or later". This way, no advanced compression options will be added.

User uploaded file

Mar 30, 2015 2:47 PM in response to barkamaker

I'm having exactly the same issue and I posted on Adobe's site and dpreview and StackExchange but nobody has the final answer. I can see thumbnail previews in finder with ALL my various Raw files (Olympus OMD EM1, Panasonic GH2 and GH3, and Nikon D5300) just fine but when I use the convert to DNG feature in Lightroom (latest version since I'm on the CC subscription), only the Nikon DNG files display a preview thumb in finder and neither the Oly or Panny DNG files display. The closest I got to an explanation is that, since the m4/3 cameras do their profiling in camera and Adobe doesn't have a profile for them, some of the info isn't converted into the DNG in those systems. The article I read about it was really about Aperture not being able to read the Adobe DNG files but it may also explain why Mac finder can't show preview thumbs. Aperture 3: Some DNG images display as unsupported - Apple Support

If there is no way to get preview thumbs in finder with the converted RAW files from my GH3 then I'll forgo converting for now.

Here is my Nikon DNG

User uploaded file

And my Panny DNG (Oly is the same)

User uploaded file

Panny RAW shows up just fine

User uploaded file

As does the Oly ORF

User uploaded file

10.9.5 with camera raw 5.07 not showing .RW2 and DNG but showing .CR2 previews in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.