Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't take calls on Facetime iOS 8

After upgrading to iOS 8 i'm unable to take Facetime audio calls on my iPad, all buttons seem unresponsive.

I think this only happens when iPad is locked.

iOS 8.0.2

iPad Air

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 9:15 AM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2014 10:14 AM in response to jeffd55

Hello Jeff.

I have checked the article and everything seems right.

I use Facetime every day and on iOS 7 this wasn't a problem.

On iOS 8 and 8.0.2 I was unable to answer Facetime audio calls, and this same issue happened with my friend on the other side, i.e., I making the call and him unable to answer, buttons unresponsive.

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2014 2:54 PM in response to jenturrent

I'm having the same issue with FaceTime (video). The buttons are unresponsive like the touch screen is broken. I can't answer calls or hang up the call (if I was able to answer it to begin with). If I restart the iPad, it seems to work for a little bit (few hours) before I the buttons become unresponsive again. I noticed this with iOS 8 and it has gotten worse with 8.0.2.

Mar 9, 2015 7:14 AM in response to Eluzion

I'm having the exact same problem with unresponsive buttons like the touchscreen is broken, specifically with Facetime. While I'm unable to tap the button to answer a call, I can still pull down the notification center from the top of the screen, so it appears to be more of a software issue than a hardware issue. I'm on 8.1.3. Has anyone seen any solutions to the issue?

Mar 12, 2015 3:42 AM in response to superbeta

I have this exact same problem. Same thing with cellphone calls forwarded from my iPhone. In both those cases, the screen is simply unresponsive. Not broken as other things work, just the actual process that puts buttons on the screen so the call can be answered. So it does indeed seem to be software related.

It's no setting that I can find. Everything else works correctly and it's not calls being blocked in some way. The iPad IS seeing the call and responding apprpriately, but the buttons presented on screen to accept or reject the call simply don't work.

Doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, but obviously I'm not the only one suffering with it. A true solution to this would be very much appreciated.

Mar 17, 2015 1:13 PM in response to UKenGB

HI, me too.

Brand new iPad Air 2. Girlfriend calls me and I can't answer. Buttons not responsive. I have to wait for her to give up, at which point the iPad is responsive again, then I can call back, but once the call starts I again can't press any buttons, so she has to hang up!. Not sure if the phone being locked causes this. Possibly.

I notice there are two instances of the FaceTime application running when this happens.

I never had OS7.

restarting the iPad clears the problem for a short while but the problem is infuriating. Please fix the issue. it is not acceptable to simply advise us to restart our devices each time it fails to work.

thanks, Chris

Mar 20, 2015 3:13 PM in response to jenturrent

I am also having the same problem after I updated to iOS 8.2 .......
Like most people who have posted here, I am able to receive calls but when I try to pick up, the button is not responsive and I have to call them back myself afterwards. I don't think there is a problem with the touch screen since it seems to be working fine in all other instances.

Would appreciate it if this problem could be fixed soon!!

Mar 20, 2015 5:31 PM in response to jenturrent

It looks like I've had success resolving the issue by doing a "Reset All Settings" under the General settings against v8.1.3. A little bit of a pain to recover all my previous settings (apps & data aren't deleted, just needed to do things like re-enable Wi-Fi, update which apps provide notifications, update my wallpaper, etc...), but it was probably good to revisit most of those for consistency. It's only been a week, but the buttons are now responding during Facetime calls and conversations. Hoping it stays that way!

Apr 23, 2015 7:05 PM in response to superbeta

My mom ran into this issue on her iPad Air, and I tried just resetting the Network Settings instead of resetting "all" and it worked. I thought it might be helpful to know that you don't have to lose all your prefs. We just reset network prefs and then re-connected to wifi and she was back in business. Funnily enough, I walked her through it over FaceTime on her iPhone.

Can't take calls on Facetime iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.