Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot start family sharing: Apple id is already used for shared purchases

I'm trying to set-up family sharing on multiple devices, but I'm informed that my mac.com address is "already used for shared purchases" and "accounts can only be part of one Family at a time" with a dialogue box of "OK". We are only one family, and all devices were recently under my iTunes/Apple account. How do I change that so that I can set up family sharing? I have an 11 year old itching for her own phone and want to be able to share, but also to manually approve purchases (which I think is the point of family sharing, especially with someone under 13.)

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2015 9:02 PM

I am having this exact same issue. it is telling me that my email is part of XX Family, however I don't have a device that can access the XX Family account. Even more strange is that the XX Family is my wife's first and last name. I checked all of our devices (we have 6 in our household) and none of them lead to a solution.

Can anyone help?

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2015 9:02 PM in response to macgirl2009

I am having this exact same issue. it is telling me that my email is part of XX Family, however I don't have a device that can access the XX Family account. Even more strange is that the XX Family is my wife's first and last name. I checked all of our devices (we have 6 in our household) and none of them lead to a solution.

Can anyone help?

May 9, 2015 2:36 AM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

Thanks for your post! It came just after I spent an hour with Apple trying to solve this issue. Even they couldn't figure out what was happening and my issue went up to a more senior support person. It was exactly what you said. Another account was still connected to the Family Share, even though when iTunes looked into it, it said that there was only 1 member - my original account. I logged into the other account and stopped family sharing. Now all is fixed. My question to them was why did this happen. I was the original creator of this family and should always have access to it. If I choose to stop Family Sharing, then as the creator of the family it should stop it for all or I should be given the option to allow another to take over the Family. I should never be stuck in limbo like that.

At least, I know what the issue was. The frustration is over! 🙂

Oct 9, 2014 5:36 AM in response to bobby_d

Thanks, but no, I cannot get past the "Set Up Family Sharing" tab. Under Settings/iCloud/Set Up Family Sharing all I get is a dialogue box that says "Cannot Start Family Sharing XNameX@mac.com is already used for shared purchases by XnameX. Accounts can only be part of one Family at a a time. OK". I'm wondering what I need to do to reset that. I've only ever had one family using iTunes and I'm not sharing my account with them, as far as I know. I'd like to not delete and re-add my CC information (that works fine), but I think that it might be wanting that.

Apr 11, 2015 11:01 PM in response to Lyhte

I FIGURED THIS ONE OUT!!! What happened was initially I had set up a Family Sharing account under my wife's old iCloud login (old email address) . I had set her up as the administrator of the account. We used MY credit card info to handle any purchases made.

Some time later we decided to share MY iCloud account rather than having separate accounts (thus, same email for iCloud login). While switching her out of her old iCloud login over to sharing my login, it never crossed my mind that I had used her old iCloud login to set up Family Sharing. Since her old iCloud login was set up as the administrator of the account, all I had to do was sign into iCloud with her old email address and password that she had used before. Once logged in, I went to Family Sharing and chose an option to stop Family Sharing. As soon as I did that, I re-logged in with the new shared iCloud account and was able to immediately set up Family Sharing. Phew!!!

Hope this helps

May 6, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Lyhte

Same issue here, I checked my old iCloud account, my iTunes account.

It tells me I'm member of a Family, but I have no way to access it... The weirdest part is that I can see Family Sharing enabled in my iTunes ID, but I have no way to access it, delete it, manage it.

In fact, it's like there is a "Ghost" Family account with my iTunes ID linked to it. But for some reasons the link is broken...

Any idea?

May 8, 2015 11:08 PM in response to Detroitscooter

Has anyone else solved this? I can't get pass the Set Up Family Sharing. I had set up Family Sharing previously and added my niece to the family. She then changed her Apple ID, so I removed the original Apple ID from the family. After that I couldn't access the family sharing options any more. I get the same message above and that I need to ask '???' to send you an invitation to join Family Sharing. Well I am the administrator of the account. I am '???' and once I removed my niece I am the only member of the family. Why can't I manage Family Sharing anymore???

May 9, 2015 1:28 AM in response to macgirl2009

Finally I managed to solve the issue.

It turned out, I had another old iCloud Account, Family Sharing was enabled on it. I simply turned it off and now I'm able to use it with my new iCloud Account.

About your issue macgirl, are you sure you didn't change something about your account?

Ask your niece to log in with her old account to check if she's connected to something about family sharing...

Regards,

Oct 21, 2015 10:50 PM in response to Detroitscooter

What I had to do was bring up icloud on my macbook, which then let it sync across my devices I guess? I was having problems showing family members, and it wouldn't let me click on Family without giving me an error that I was already in the family... then I brought up icloud on the mac (you can try on a different device if you dont have a mac) and hopefully it will work for you. I signed into my account, like I was going to change the details, but I left the details alone. Once I went back to my iphone about 5 minutes later, all the family names showed up and I could share again.

Cannot start family sharing: Apple id is already used for shared purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.