Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove macshop ads?

I have a macbook pro 13 in retina (the 256 gb one), and this morning a bunch of ads started popping up that all say "ads by macshop". It also turns random words into hyperlinks to various websites. Last night I tried setting up a VPN through vpnbook.com (their USA pptp one) and I think that has to be where it came from. After using both Bitdefender virus scanner and ClamXav (both from the app store), I have found nothing. I also updated to osx 10.9.5, because it was available, and I thought it might help. What makes it more confusing is that I have two google chrome "users". One of them I use for school and is linked to my school email address and the other is not. The ads only appear on my school user, and in firefox (which I almost never use), but not safari or my other chrome user. Now I need to figure out how to remove macshop, and I am also worried about other malware that I cannot see. Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 5:07 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2014 8:42 PM in response to aidanskiboy

First follow the instructions on this page. If there's a Firefox extension you can't get rid of, see below.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services â–¹ Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go â–¹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Nov 18, 2014 7:06 PM in response to aidanskiboy

A really easy way to uninstall it without having to use app removers or download anything else from online it to open up safari, on the top bar click safari and go to preferences, go to extensions, and mine said ShoopiMac plugin (which was the macshop on my mac) by some vali aural or whatever his name is, click uninstall there and you're all set.

How do I remove macshop ads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.