Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cell texts --> Messages

I want all of my cell phone's text messages to go to my Macbook's Messages app - so I can read, archive, edit, and send from my computer. Surely there must be a way to do this.

And for god's sake, it would be nice if somebody at Apple changed the title of this community from iChat to Messages.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 7:05 PM

2 replies

Oct 7, 2014 12:58 PM in response to Cagliostro2

Hi,

Since iChat 5 there have been individual sub sections of the OS X communities for the related issues.

However I still read all new posts in this Community every day and as you say there are a mixture of iChat and Messages related threads.

If you mean SMS text Messages you cannot get them on your Mac version.

It seems it is one of those things that is always reported now and then to "be coming" but never seems to get here.

If you happen to live in the United States you CAN send SMS messages via Messages if you have an AIM account logged in AND the person is using one of these carriers.

You need to add their phone number with a leading +1 to the Buddy List. (As in +1234567890).

User uploaded file

8:58 pm Tuesday; October 7, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 7, 2016 1:55 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

More info.

Since Yosemite (OS X 10.10.x) and iOS 8 the iPhone has been able to Forward Text (SMS) to the Mac if you set it up to do so.

The Mac can then send SMS via the link to the iPhone.

This does need the devices to be on the Same LAN

User uploaded file

9:55 pm Thursday; April 7, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Cell texts --> Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.