Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 and BMW iDrive connectivity issues

Since updating to IOS8 my iPhone5 does not seem to be able to properly connect to my car via its usual USB cable. I can select music to play with iDrive (on a 2013 BMW), but it refuses to play anything, unless I manually press play on the iPhone itself. I have tried rebooting the iPhone and reseting it as well and nothing seems to work. Anyone else have this issue?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 7:13 PM

44 replies

Oct 6, 2014 7:38 PM in response to Michael in MTL

I have a similar problem with iPhone 6 and OS 8.0.2. My older iPhone 5 and OS 7.1 had no problems. I am not using ConnectedDrive USB, but the legacy 30pin interface w/ lightning to 30pin accessory, tied with the BMW supplied Y-cable with my MY2010 CIC equipped vehicle.

I can't start / stop playback or play a track listed. It is actually listing the tracks out though. The play button works okay on the iPhone directly.

Tried unplugging / replugging phone, adapter, restarting CIC headunit (holding volume for 20 seconds), switching inputs, killing all apps. Only thing that seems to temporarily resolve it is hard restart of phone.

Dec 4, 2014 1:55 PM in response to phatty88

Rebooting only fixes the problem temporarily. I have rebooted my iPhone 6 many times and the issue always comes back.

Really frustrating that a high end phone and a high end automobile can be screwed up by a FW update for months because neither Apple or BMW can be bothered to fix the issue in a reasonable amount of time.

I've had it with iDrive.. last update to either BT compatibility or iDrive itself was almost 2 years ago which is ridiculous for a 2.5 year old $51,000 car. Next car will have Apple Carplay and hopefully these issues when using my iPhone will be much rarer occurrences.

Dec 4, 2014 2:37 PM in response to xenolalia1

Absolutely YES! If Mercedes or Audi get there first, brand loyalty to BMW is not going to keep me around. Frankly iDrive, being the primary part of a $2600 option on cars should be embarrassing considering what a $500 smart phone or tablet are capable of.

Auto makers have done this to themselves by refusing to keep up with technology or make their tech systems user upgradable with new hardware. The entire point of a system like Apple Carplay is that as long as the car is Carplay compatible the Apple delivered features should work indefinitely, and not get broken every time there is a new iOS update.

Dec 6, 2014 9:55 AM in response to jmpage2

I've struggled with my 2013 328 iDrive and Apple device connectivity for over a year. I've had connectivity issues with the iPhone 5s and now the 6 since I got the latter late September. This was an issue with iOS7 and now is an issue with iOS 8. I update my operating system and apps regularly.

Essentially, the issue is that iDrive stops play every 5 min or so when playing any audio app - podcasts, iTunes, Spotify, Audible. I have to hit the iDrive every 5 minutes to play audio again. What a nuisance.

I use the BMW-supplied audio cables and Apple lightning port adapter. I visited my local BMW dealer a few days ago, and they printed me a list of which Apple devices were compatible with iDrive - the list did not contain the 5s and 6 and the last firmware update was in May 2013. Unacceptable.

Dec 6, 2014 12:07 PM in response to Bababui

I am asking a basic question because I simply do not remember, but how much of what you seek can be done using BT rather than the cable?

I used the cable at first but found it a distraction with little added benefit. So I depend on BT which works fine for playing music (primarily iTunes) from my iP6. This is especially important to me because although I run a V1, I also run a Max (local) or RL (open road) with EL and I like the fact that Ka/K/lidar alerts interrupt the music and can be heard through my speakers.

Dec 7, 2014 4:51 AM in response to willfromsb

I shared this thread on a couple of BMW forums seeking a solution hoping to clarify how much of the problem is BMW or Apple.

I think static in the speakers was worse for me when I had an iP5S with an earlier iOS, but I don't remember if it was iOS 6 or 7.

Now with an iP6 8.1.1., if I happen to manually stop iTunes music when not connected to my X5 BT then I have to manually restart music on the iP as the iDrive just hangs searching for unidentified music.

Dec 7, 2014 4:55 AM in response to willfromsb

My radio does not have BT streaming functionality - I wish it did. In fact, the sales person stated the sound system had BT so I assumed it would stream. No such luck - I can only make/take calls via BT via the sound system. No music.

I have posted my concern on BMW's FB page. They responded, said that their system is compatible with iPhone and that's that. The reality is, that if you dig deep enough with their dealer the truth comes out ie. BMW vehicles (apparently in Canada but not in the US) are not 'officially' compatible with iOS7 and iOS8 and with iPhone 5s and iPhone 6. In fact, the service rep at BMW Mississauga printed me an official list of which smartphones are supported by BMW vehicles.

I suggest going to your local BMW dealer and raising a stink too. If you want me to email you the list above, send me a request to peter.rozanec@gmail.com - hopefully more of us can band together and make changes....

iOS 8 and BMW iDrive connectivity issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.