You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stolen in another country

Ok so my iPhone got stolen in a country I dont live in. Immediately after the theft happened I went to a computer and did all the process of find my iphone, remote lock and wipe, report to police and contact my local carrier for line and IMEI lock. The thing is that since I was just visiting this other country my phone wasnt with an active service, meaning I just managed using the WiFi at the hotel and other places.

if I understand correctly, the remote lock, wipe and all that works only if the iPhone is connected to a network, which unfortunately wasnt my case.

Do you guys think that someone could still find a way to use my iPhone (considering that icloud never notified me that the iPhone connected to a network and the wiping actually happened)?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 5:01 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2014 5:07 AM in response to clau.py

Change all your passwords of all accounts on the phone, if you have not done so already. The phone will wipe/lock when next connected to a Wifi network, because you have already invalidated the SIM by contacting your carrier (?). In any case if you did not have a passcode lock or an easy one (e.g. 1234) the thief could very well use your phone.

If the thief tries to restore the phone, or upgrade it he will encounter activation lock which will render the phone useless without the Apple ID and password.

iPhone stolen in another country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.