Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound not working on Ipad after ios8 update

I updated to iOS 8.0.2 and the next day, while watching a TV show on my ipad, the sound completely stopped. I did a hard reset, thinking this would solve it, but it didn't work. Sound is not on mute. I tested out all apps that play sound, nothing was playing through the speakers; however, I can hear sound if I use headphones. I did the ipad reset suggestion I saw in a few articles, but still that hasn't work. Any other workarounds or am I going to have to go into the apple store?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 8

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 7:47 AM

4 replies

Oct 9, 2014 7:14 AM in response to jggarcia

Hello jggarcia,

It sounds like you have done all the troubleshooting from the article below. I know it is for iPhone, but the troubleshooting is still the same. After everything that you have done, check with the article to make sure you did not miss anything and if it is still giving you issue, then I would recommend making an appointment with your local Apple Store’s Genius Bar.

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5180

Regards,

-Norm G.

Oct 14, 2014 11:13 AM in response to norm123

Thanks - I ended up going to the Apple store and they removed iOS8 and reinstalled it. Sound still hadn't returned. The associate explained that the iOS8 software update highlighted a hardware issue that existed and unfortunately, they cannot provide me with an new iPad since warranty is not active. Reverting back to iOS7 would not help since the issue has already been brought out. This was a few days ago. I tried turning on my iPad today and there was some faint sound that actually did come out of the speakers for a few seconds, but it eventually started crackling and faded out completely again. Sound through headphones are still working.

Still ***** that Apple can't do anything to help - prior to the iOS8 update I had no sound issues whatsoever - never spilled water on the iPad, take great care of it, and it's gently used. They said I could use this iPad as trade in value for a new one, but I can't help but feel screwed over. Le sigh. I'm crossing my fingers that with time the sound will miraculously return or a future iOS update changes something.

Mar 31, 2015 6:33 PM in response to jggarcia

Has anyone had any luck fixing this issue? My iPad(4th Generation) was working fine, but then I updated from iOS 6(I think) to iOS 8.2. I hadn't updated, except maybe once, since buying it in 2013. Now, the headphone port doesn't work. Sometimes, when adjusting the volume, it gets really scratchy, and I can hear it in the right ear, albeit distorted. I tried all of the tricks mentioned in this thread, and other forums, including:

• reset of settings
  • full reset of settings and content
  • change sound preferences to mono
  • change language to something other than English
  • change the side switch from mute to rotation lock, and back

I took it to the Apple Store, but it is out of warranty, so they could do nothing, other than offer me a $299 replacement, or trade it in towards a new iPad. I wasn't ready to just give Apple more money, since I felt their software is what broke it. So, I took the iPad to a mobile device repair shop, and had them replace the headphone port, just in case the issue was actually failed hardware. Unfortunately, that did not correct the problem. The headphone port still is not working.

Any ideas on what to do now would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sound not working on Ipad after ios8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.