Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"unexpected error" when adding Express to network

Repeatedly get "unexpected error" message when attempting to add 2 Express (both A1392) routers to Extreme (latest version) created network on machine running Maverick (10.9.5). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Express models A1392

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 9:10 AM

This is a common bug that has continued with Mavericks from earlier operating systems.

Please check this Apple support document to see if that might provide some help.

AirPort base station not seen or "An unexpected error occurred" appears in AirPort Utility 6.3

Another option.....if you have an iPad or iPhone handy......is to use that device to set up the AirPort Express devices, which often works better than AirPort Utility on a Mac.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2014 9:10 AM in response to Philip Vitek

This is a common bug that has continued with Mavericks from earlier operating systems.

Please check this Apple support document to see if that might provide some help.

AirPort base station not seen or "An unexpected error occurred" appears in AirPort Utility 6.3

Another option.....if you have an iPad or iPhone handy......is to use that device to set up the AirPort Express devices, which often works better than AirPort Utility on a Mac.

Oct 7, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Philip Vitek

I get the same response. I have osx10.8.5 and airport utility 6.3.1. I have had airport express a1392 extended to time capsule for playing speakers for about a year and today noticed not working. All the other airplay speakers work fine so I don't think it is iTunes. I have not changed anything. I have reset and reset to factory with same response. i have tried IPAD ios7.1.2 with airport1.3.4 which never recognizes the airport express. I am in link local so above document noted. Any ideas would be appreciated

"unexpected error" when adding Express to network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.