Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MainStage 3 freezing up while playing

I am running MainStage 3 on a new Macbook Pro purchased in June. 2.4 GHz, Intel Core i5, 8GB memory, OS X 10.9.5. I am pretty new to the mac world, and brand new to MainStage and controller keyboards, so forgive my ignorance.

The main issue I have been having is after having MainStage opened up for a few minutes and playing, it will just freeze up. The sound will be sustained, and the keys shown on MainStage are still pressed down even though I am not still playing anything. I have programmed a panic button, and pressing that stops the sound, but then the keyboard I am playing won't play. If I disconnect the USB cable from the computer to the keyboard, and re-connect, it solves the problem. It's back to normal and plays fine. Then rinse and repeat in about 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. It's completely random, but it will happen again.

Anyone have any clue as to what is going on? I am a worship leader and use this for Sunday morning worship. This past Sunday it happened 5 or 6 times during the set. It is beyond frustrating. I mentioned this on a Facebook group dedicated to MS users, and someone mentioned turning off auto-save, and only playing in performance mode. It helped at first, but didn't fix it.

Does it sound like a MainStage issue? Mac issue? Keyboard issue? (it's a newish 61 Novation Impulse).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 8:58 AM

4 replies

Oct 10, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Josh Glover

Well, I have two USB cables, one for computer to keyboard and one for computer to interface box. I haven't labeled them so I have no idea which one I use at any given time.

Another thought - we have church in a space where we set up and tear down every week. This location is the only place I've had the issue. At our office (separate location) I haven't been able to replicate the issue. The keyboard works totally fine there, even during 1.5 hour long rehearsals. Everything is the same except at the church location I have the interface box connected to a direct box which is then connected to the sound system. At the office, I have the interface box directly connected to the sound board (smaller set-up).

Other than that, I can't see anything being different. I just don't see how any of the above paragraph would be affected by unplugging the USB cable from the computer to the keyboard. Would it?

Sep 5, 2015 3:30 AM in response to matias.saez

Hello all,

I am having the same issue as well. I am using two keyboards, one is connected via USB cable and another one connects via MIDI cable to an external sound device which is plugged into my Macbook Pro via thunderbolt port. The keyboard connected via USB cable sometimes freezes but the other one responses properly. After using the panic function and turning the USB keyboard off and on again it works for about 5-10 minutes. Problem occurs occasionally, one day the settings works properly, the other day it is totally horrible. Any ideas?

Best regards

MainStage 3 freezing up while playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.