Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since update IOS 8, phone won't ring, no missed call and then I see voicemail notification

Since the most recent update to IOS 8, my phone is not ringing and then their is no missed call notification but I will see a voicemail notification

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 11:28 AM

Do you see a crescent moon at the top right next to your battery on the home screen.

If you do that means you have do not disturb on.

settings - do not disturb - off

or swipe up on your home screen and click on the moon icon to turn it off.

37 replies

Oct 8, 2014 5:22 AM in response to razmee209

I am having exactly the same problem

Since update to IOS 8.0, my iPhone 5 has no ring tone, and no notify tone, only a quick vibrate on incoming calls or notifications
Phone is NOT muted, Do No Disturb function is NOT enabled, all other sounds and volumes are normal

(Games have normal playback, etc)

Have restarted phone multiple times

Are there only two of us having this problem?

Oct 8, 2014 5:35 AM in response to Warren Nicholson

Sounds like your problems could be a bit different in that I didn't see you comment about missed calls not being captured. Under Settings>Sounds have you looked at Ringer Volume and is the Change with Button slide on? Is Lock Sounds slide On? Have you changed these Settings and tried a Call? Any Restrictions on Volume Limits? Have you selected another Ringtone ...just to see what happens?

Oct 22, 2014 6:57 PM in response to katie 1

I'll just pile on here as another victim. iPhone 5C IOS8, iPad Air IOS8, 1 year old iMac/Yosemite & mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13"/Yosemite.

Initially everything BUT the phone would ring, but I could not answer calls on any other device (I tried every available button), and a notification would stay on the MacBook Pro's screen until I "rejected" the call - usually 15 minutes later.

Phone is not in Airplane, muted, silenced, do not disturb or any other mode. I rest ringtones - they work fine. I get calls - nothing except a VERY short vibration; even if I see it I have no time to answer. I'm trying to find an automated callback system so I can keep trying things but no luck yet, so I have to have a friend call me to test it.

I went back through the feature announcements for both operating systems and saw nothing about computers taking phone calls or messages, nor do I WANT them to. But I WOULD like my phone to ring, just like a real phone!

So far I have not found a single "feature" in IOS8 or Yosemite that is useful, saves time, or does anything but look pretty and foul up day-to-day activities (and the new Safari is absolutely awful!).

What the heck is Apple thinking? But for now - HOW CAN I GET MY PHONE TO RING AGAIN?

I was planning to "jump" to a 6+. Fat chance now.

Nov 13, 2014 9:51 AM in response to katie 1

I think I have the same...not great as am an on-call doctor and actually quite dangerous for me to miss calls

The phone is on vibrate, DND is OFF. If someone calls, phone vibrates intermittently and irregularly as if someone is sending a flurry of texts but there is NO sign of any notifications and NO sign that anyone is trying to call me. The home screen looks normal during all of this and the phone is responsive. After the vibration ends, the phone app has no indication of any missed calls. The only way I knew was through an O2 text alert that a call had been missed.

This is on iOS 8.1, persisted following a restart and soft reset. Phone was connected to home wifi with mac also on network, continuity features on and I had been using a bluetooth speaker earlier on.

Since update IOS 8, phone won't ring, no missed call and then I see voicemail notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.