Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Device does not have the necessary services"

Hi, everyone. I apologize for asking a question that I've seen asked many other times, but I think I've tried all the proposed solutions from the other discussions, but none of them have worked for me.

I have an old MacBook (ca. 2007; 10.4.11), and just purchased a new MacBook Pro (OS 10.9.5). I'm trying to transfer files from my old Mac to my new one via Bluetooth. I used the Bluetooth button in the menu bar (I've seen other discussions suggest using the "Set Up Bluetooth" instead) of both Macs, and they were able to see each other. The first time I tried it, I was immediately given a pairing code from the Pro, entered it in the MacBook, and everything looked fine. By the time I found a file to transfer, though, the MacBook Pro said the MacBook was disconnected. I tried sending the file anyway, and got the error message "Device does not have the necessary services" on my MacBook, the sending computer.

When I tried pairing the two via the "Set Up Bluetooth" suggestion from another discussion, I had the same problem again. I used the "Set Up Bluetooth" option on the old MacBook; it eventually found the MacBook Pro, I got a pairing number from the MacBook and entered it in the Pro this time, but when I went to transfer a file from the MacBook to the Pro, I again got the error message saying "Device does not have the necessary services."

In the past, I've been able to transfer files from my mom's phone (some Samsung, I think) to my old Mac via Bluetooth, so I know the old Mac's Bluetooth does work some (although, I also have Bluetooth speakers that I've never been able to get to work). As a test, to make sure the issue wasn't just with sending from the old Mac, I tried to send a file from the MacBook Pro to the old MacBook, but couldn't because the MacBook showed as "disconnected" again.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 1:49 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2014 1:58 PM in response to tiffany beth

I just tried again to pair my two Macs and send a file. They paired fine, and stayed connected long enough for me to find a file I wanted to transfer. Again, when I tried to send from the MacBook to the MacBook Pro, I got the "Device does not have..." error message. When I went back to the MacBook Pro, it showed the MacBook was still connected, so I tried to send a file from the new Pro to the old MacBook, and it worked fine this time. So could the problem be with sending a file *from* the old MacBook?

Mar 1, 2015 10:56 AM in response to tiffany beth

I had the same issue pairing a Mac G5 powerpc with a 2014 Macbook Pro and resolved it. In addition to pairing the devices through System Preferences>Bluetooth, make sure that "Bluetooth Sharing" is checked in System Preferences>Sharing as well. In my case, the devices always say "disconnected" in the Bluetooth panel, but change to "Connected" during an actual file transfer. Try sending a file even though it says "disconnected" and it may very well work fine. It also helps to check "Show Bluetooth in status in the menu bar" so you can quickly initiate a transfer from there.

"Device does not have the necessary services"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.