Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have exclamation marks on my iTunes songs on my computer. How do I get rid of them?

I have iTunes match and it works fine on the iPad however on my computer where they originated from there is an exclamation mark with a circle around it on my songs and it will only play one song and then stops. I can manually double click on each song as to play it but how do I get rid of all those pesky things.?

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 5:53 PM

9 replies

Oct 8, 2014 6:23 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks for the reply. Nothing has been deleted from the library. Don't know if you read my comments above but all the problem is is that there is this exclamation mark inside a circle on most all the songs on my iTunes library and I think it has to do with iTunes Match. If you have seen these things before let me know and I will send you a more detailed explanation of the problem.

Nov 29, 2014 6:27 PM in response to herb clark

Having the same problem. Started using iTunes match 3 years ago, and sometime in the first year deleted my physical library (i know). Every time iTunes match annually renews, all my songs stay intact, but I get exclamation marks next to all my songs, and it asks to initially locate them the first play through, after that the exclamation mark goes away and the song plays no problem. Would love to figure out a way to clear the exclamation marks without having to play the song and close out the dialogue box that pops up asking to locate the song.

Dec 4, 2014 10:21 PM in response to herb clark

I'm having a problem very similar to the one herb clark described. It occurred when I upgraded to OSX 10.10. Suddenly have the songs in my itunes library have this **** exclamation point in front of them and they don't play in a playlist. I can play them by simply double-clicking on the song, this will clear the exclamation mark and start playback. I can also clear the mark by selecting the song and choosing "Get Info"—as soon as the info window opens the mark disappears. Once the mark is gone the song then behaves normally and plays in the playlist.

It has nothing to do with deleted files. No files have been deleted. Itunes never asks me to locate files.

I have not synced with any devices. I have never synced itunes.

I doubt it has anything to do with itunes Match because I've never used Match or subscribed to it.

It appears that the only way to fix this is to doubleclick on every song that has an exclamation mark. That would take hours to do.

Any ideas about how to fix this and make the exclamation marks go away?

Dec 7, 2014 4:18 AM in response to herb clark

I too have this annoying problem (Mac user)

Mine came about by moving my music to my Mac desktop to format my external drive to make it compatible with Mac and PC and adding the new location to iTunes.

I have 22000+ songs, half of which have the exclamation mark next to them, so you can imagine I don't fancy the prospect of manually deleting the blighters!

To make matters slightly more complicated I am currently using a PC keyboard and don't have the luxury of the command key etc all thanks to apple not making a wireless keyboard with number pad, and a QUERTY logitech k750 being impossible to find in the uk! Oh, and more importantly my Mac won't let me uninstall iTunes!!!

Nov 23, 2015 11:11 PM in response to sarahtnt83

I have 25,000 songs and didn't want to click on every song individually to remove all those annoying marks either! This seemed to work for me......I clicked on the 1st song on the top of the list, held down the shift button and then clicked on the last song on my list......at this point every song in my library was highlighted.....now do a right click, select the "Reset Plays" option, click on "Reset" button......them suckers should be gone!

Nov 23, 2015 11:29 PM in response to herb clark

I have 25,000 songs and didn't want to click on every song individually to remove all those annoying marks either! This seemed to work for me......I clicked on the 1st song on the top of the list, held down the shift button and then clicked on the last song on my list......at this point every song in my library was highlighted.....now do a right click, select the "Reset Plays" option, click on "Reset" button......them suckers should be gone!

I have exclamation marks on my iTunes songs on my computer. How do I get rid of them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.