Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carplay not working properly with Siri

Installed a Pioneer AVH 4000-NEX in my car & updated with the Apple Carplay on Oct 4th. At first everything seemed to be working fine but then I realized that Siri is not working properly: when I say ‘Hey Siri’ I can see the screen with the microphone & the message saying ‘How can I help’ displayed but when I ask her to do something nothing happens and the session is terminated. Felt like Siri didn’t like what I said & decided to just ignores me… I guess married guys can relate 🙂Sometimes she does respond back by saying 'Hey (my name)’! instead of asking ‘how can I help?’ and then goes back to sleep which makes things frustrating but funny at the same time. Occasionally, she does respond (I’d say 2 out of 10 times).

I called Apple support & the lady said it’s expected to have bugs with a new release but couldn’t specify if it’s IOS 8 related or just Carplay. I guess we’d have to make our voices heard in order for Apple to notice that problem & fix it so please join this conversation if you have similar problem

PS: I’m using iPhone 6

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 10:12 PM

64 replies

May 7, 2017 6:01 PM in response to beekayApple

I'm having the exact same issues in my VW Polo. It's really frustrating.. I can't talk to Siri, Siri doesn't read my messages and even doesn't tell me the direction to go in Maps. Next to the Siri issues I also can't hear my phone calls. The most frustrating is that my music lower when Siri actually has to speak to me but it doesn't sound anything.. When plugged off Siri works just perfectly and also by bluetooth it does.

I've tested with several iPhones (6's and 7's) and they all have the same issue at ios 10.3.1. I've tested one older iphone (5) with ios 10.2.1 and this was the only one working just fine.User uploaded file

Mar 22, 2017 8:34 AM in response to iwillsurvive

I am having the same issues with CarPlay in a new 2017 Honda Accord. Siri starts to ask me what I want, but can't understand me, cuts me off after a second or two.

If I unhook the cable and just use my iPhone via Bluetooth all works fine.

Has anyone every resolved these issues with CarPlay? Basically finding CarPlay useless since I can't use Siri like this. (Also have to use Apple Maps, which still aren't as good as Google Maps app, but that is a different issue.

Oct 8, 2014 2:56 AM in response to iwillsurvive

Siri has always sucked. If you believe the stories, it's amazing Scott Forstall got fired over Maps, but no one was over Siri. "Hey Siri" is great in theory, especially when connected to CarPlay, but still just as bad. Barely hears what I say, like you, terminates the session after doing nothing. Yesterday driving home from work it seemed to work great. I was listening/dictating Messages with no problem. Then I get one from my daughter. Regardless of if I spoke the command to listen to the message or pressed the on-screen button to listen to it, Siri would say, "Okay, what would you like to say to _______". And then ANY message after that it would say the same thing. It showed I had 3 messages, and I couldn't listen to any of them. Kept asking if I wanted to reply to my daughter. Siri is going to cause more road rage than anything else. LOL!

Hope they get it fixed.

Oct 8, 2014 8:52 AM in response to iwillsurvive

You know what guys, I think we should stop making fun of it because it’s a Sirious problem…no Siriously:) OK its out of my system and now to the serious part: I just realized today that I spent close to 900 dollars for my Pioneer earlier this summer (including installation) just because it said on their website that Carplay is coming this summer (then they changed it to fall because Apple delayed the release and you’d think they’d have perfected it) and more than 350 dollars to upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 so I can use Siri with Carplay for safer driving and guess what, my iPhone 4 with no Siri and just basic voice commands & while connected to my stock car deck through a car kit, outperformed the iPhone 6 & Siri in terms of practicality and safety while driving and to add insult to injury (and at the risk of sounding cliche) all those problems happen while my girlfriend is in the passenger seat and she owns a ahem…Samsung Note that performs flawlessly with her stock car radio with built-in voice commands so way to go Apple!

Oct 8, 2014 9:02 AM in response to bluespower21

I had the same experience with it reading messages. It was hilarious when I would press the unread icon and it would say "Do you want to send it now?" and I would say "No" and it would say "I don't understand 'No'." Come on Apple. Siri asks a yes/no question and won't take no for an answer?

I did find that if I used Siri itself and said "Unread Messages" or "Read Unread Messages" (I really don't remember which) it worked. At least with only one message in the queue.

Anyone hear any updates on Spotify, or Beats, or heaven forbid Pandora?

Oct 9, 2014 7:32 AM in response to bluespower21

I imagine most if not all of you have discovered this, but in iTunes if you touch and hold the right-hand area with the A to Z scroller for about a second, up pops a screen with the alphabet that will easily take you to any letter. I haven't tried it yet to see if it works on Contacts and other areas, but I imagine it does

Which brings up another point: Has anyone found any basic instructions from either Apple or Pioneer on CarPlay in general? I found the feature above quite by accident.

Oct 14, 2014 5:29 AM in response to iwillsurvive

Sounds like a shot in the dark to me, but hey, give it a whirl. If you backup shortcuts, photos etc. to the cloud or to your local PC you should be fine.

Hey Siri is acting funny to me even sitting on my nightstand, so it might not have anything to do with Car Play and Apple's suggestion might work.

Since Apple Pay rolls out at Walgreen's this weekend, I imagine they'll release 8.1. You might wait a few days and see if that helps..

Oct 15, 2014 1:14 PM in response to iwillsurvive

Funny enough Siri has been working perfectly for me on the nightstand. I noticed something today: when connected to the charger or MacBook at home i can say ‘Hey Siri check weather’ for example and it will do it, but when connected to the car through Carplay if I say ‘Hey Siri’ I’d have to wait for that ready tone before I can tell her what to do (then she doesn’t reply most of the time & that’s how this discussion started) now in that case if the tone comes on and no wave is moving on the screen (that’s an indication she won’t be responding to any command) a microphone logo will be showing on the Pioneer screen instead & if I touch that microphone, Siri will listen again & execute a command! So as a conclusion:

1- the way ‘Hey Siri works when plugged in to a charger (or to a computer) is different than how she works when plugged into Carplay

2- When plugged into Carpaly, if wave doesn’t come on screen after ‘Hey Siri’, a microphone will and if touched, Siri will listen again & execute commands

…and you thought human relations are challenging:)

Oct 20, 2014 5:35 PM in response to iwillsurvive

I am having the same issues too. When my iPhone 6 Plus is plugged in at my night stand, 'Hey Siri ' works perfectly. When plugged into CarPlay, it works 50% of the time at best. When it is working, it truly is an amazing feature to have in the car!

I've submitted a bug report to Apple, so hopefully by the next iOS or CarPlay update this will all be working as it should.

Carplay not working properly with Siri

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.