Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen/lost iPad with Prey and Find my iPhone

Hello,

I lost my iPad yesterday. Find My iPhone was activated and I also had Prey 1.1.4 installed on the device.

Now as soon as I realized I had lost it, I checked find my iPhone and Prey, to discover that the iPad was offline, making me believe that the person that found it switched it off immediately.

Now, it's quite unlikely that the iPad will be able to "call home", since it had a passcode and a pin number on the SIM (unless of course the iPad can access an open WiFi network).

Is it possible for the thief (or the person who found it), to put the iPad in recovery mode and wipe it clean? Is there a way I can still locate the iPad after it has been wiped (maybe through serial number)?

Let me know.

Cheers

Luca

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 15" retina display 2.3Ghz i7, 8Gb

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 1:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 1:10 AM

If you have IOS 7 or later, to wipe the iPad your Apple ID & password are needed. So the thief/finder will not be able to use it.

9 replies

Oct 8, 2014 2:31 AM in response to attmailfilter

attmailfilter wrote:

Hello ckuan,

Yes it had iOS 7. I didn't upgrade that iPad to iOs .

In other words you are telling me that for anyone finding it, won't be able to use it.

I am going to stick signs in the pub where I lost it, with my phone number. Hoping that someone will eventually contact me.

Thanks

Luca

Yes, that is correct. Without your Apple ID and password, they cannot wipe to use it.

Oct 8, 2014 7:58 AM in response to ckuan

Hello,

Just to give a follow up. I just received a call from a person (a friend of his "found" the iPad and gave it to him).

Apparently that person put the iPad Air in recovery mode and wiped it clean. At the moment of restoring the iPad with his own backup, the message from Find my iPhone lost mode (with my telephone number) appeared on the iTunes window... and it was then when he called me.

We set up an appointment to get the ipad and give him the reward.

I am not sure if the guy succeeded in overwriting the iPad with his backup. In any case, in Find my iPhone I still have the last position when I lost the iPad yesterday.

Cheers

Luca

Stolen/lost iPad with Prey and Find my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.