Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imported .ics file not syncing to iCloud

Good morning,

I have tried to ssearch the forums for this question but to no avail.

I have imported a .ics file to my iCloud calendar on my iPad. The calendar has multiple events per day. However after importing, the events show up on my iPad but no other device that I have signed in to my iCloud account. If I go into an individual event and edit any property of it then click 'done', the event will then immediately show up on all my iCloud devices.

As you can imagine that's quite time consuming. Am I right in thinking imported events should upload straight to iCloud without me needing to edit a property of it to 'refresh' it?

I have tried all the troubleshooting steps in this article: iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Calendar

Thanks for any help.

KInd regards,

Tom

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 12:10 AM

65 replies

Oct 21, 2014 12:07 AM in response to woottsbj25

I've got the same problem, just a bit worse.

Imported ICS only show up on the local calendar and won't sync automatically. There must be a bug in the iOS8 "add event" function, no idea how to actually notify Apple about this.

For me it's worse though. Alerts don't fire on the local device at the set times. The events do show up in Notification Center, but do not trigger.

I did try disabling iCloud Calendar on iPhone5 and then restarting it. This action uploaded the downloaded ICS events to iCloud and sync'd with my Mac Air Book, so the ICS format works and the alerts trigger on the Air Book, but not on the local device where the ICS was downloaded.

I hope this gets fixed in the next update as it worked fine in iOS7 and is a common/basic function.

Bummer for us...

Oct 28, 2014 10:23 PM in response to ctting

The failure of Safari to properly sync an imported ICS is another MAJOR bug in iOS8...iCloud is a huge mess.

I suggest filing a complaint in the "feedback" section so someone at Apple actually reads it. It sure doesn't look like anyone from Apple reads or does anything about bugs and problems reported in these boards.

The forums actually look more like a testament to the massive failure Apple and iOS8 actually are. LOTS of very frustrated and unhappy device owners in these parts. Thread after thread after thread...something doesn't work.

Nov 7, 2014 8:35 AM in response to woottsbj25

Same problem here...It seems to sync after the event though. Can't really test since I only receive ICS files and have no way to generate them.

The first time I noticed this, it never seemed to sync, but then after the event, I noticed it in the iCloud calendar.

I have something coming up early next week and will monitor to see if it syncs after the event.

Nov 19, 2014 4:28 PM in response to woottsbj25

Exact same problem here. I thought at first there was a syncing problem in general, as I had a few years ago on the iPhone 4 on older OSes. But I too traced it down to ics imported files as not syncing until they are modified (I change the selected calendar to something else then back). A HUGE Pita (and some frustrating discussions when appointments are being missed).

If anyone has any solutions at all pleats post!! I'll be submitting feedback to apple about it.. I'm pretty sure it happened at least sometimes before 8.1.1 ....

Dec 7, 2014 7:02 PM in response to woottsbj25

Wanted to chime in to confirm that I'm experiencing to. For now the easiest workaround is what Evertt indicated.

After you import the .ics file through your iOS device, make an edit to that event (i.e. add travel time, change the end date or something). Then the event will sync with iCloud.com and all other iOS devices. I'm sending Apple feedback on this bug.

thanks

Dec 31, 2014 11:09 AM in response to woottsbj25

I imported an .ics file to my iPad (iOS 8.1) with an entry for every day of the coming year, and while it loaded ok on the iPad it wouldn't sync to iCloud or my iPhone 4s. With that number of entries, I couldn't go through editing each one. However, the following workaround has worked for me.

Go to Settings/iCloud, and turn off Calendars. When asked, choose to keep the calendars on the iPad. This will establish all your entries in local calendars, including those from the new .ics file.

Turn Calendars back on in iCloud, and let the iPad sync with iCloud. After a short while this will sync all your entries, including the new ones, with iCloud.

For some reason, as well as recreating my old calendars on iCloud, I found a new one called 'Calendar', which was empty. I've deleted that without any ill effects.

I'm no expert, so if you try this it's at your own risk. Good luck!

Imported .ics file not syncing to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.