Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone sending out texts without my knowing?

I recently purchased an iPhone 4S (manufacturer refurbished) from eBay. The phone has been fully reset and is already unlocked, with no previous accounts set up on it as far as I know.

After doing initial set up, I noticed it had some settings from "Three" carrier in Hong Kong. I am in the UK.

So I presume the phone has been imported from HK for resale in the UK.

I checked my recent bill online for my provider and there are numerous international texts showing up all to the same number in HK!

I am in the process of resolving this with my UK provider so they should hopefully waive the charges but what could possibly be causing these?

I set up an apple store/cloud ID just fine with all my correct details. I went through the settings and turned off as much as I could to preserve battery and limit data use.

So for example:

location services OFF

facetime OFF

iCloud OFF

and most other things off where possible.

What could this be and how can I resolve it? I have upgraded the phone to the newest iOS version from iTunes, after doing a hard reset too (then disabling settings as above)

Just to clarify I set all locales/time zones etc. correctly to UK (nothing as far as I know is HK in settings anymore)

Thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 3:41 AM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2014 6:41 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Hi I already did erase all contents and settings again. The phone has a UK carrier sim.

I have a hunch its still somehow trying to send texts to a HK number, because the firmware is a Three HK one, not generic/blank. Quite distressing as I got a big bill from it. I've put restrictions on to turn off FaceTime and turned off FaceTime as I suspect it could be that.

Oct 9, 2014 9:22 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Hi, is there any way I can add a screenshot here? I mean, when I do a hard reset and restore even as new phone some sections come prefilled eg APN shows something like mobile.three.hk as default. Those settings I set to my UK provider settings. I only have a UK sim never had HK. It picks up carrier voice settings ok just fine over the air.

There is also a "Three" menu somewhere, have to check where again.

So it has some kind of operator customisation from Three HK which I can't seem to get rid of, even after upgrading from the iOS 7 it came with to latest iOS via iTunes.

I got a refund from my carrier in the end and they have put a block on international texts and calls so I should not get charged again but I would like it to stop it trying even.

Some research tells me there are system files in the phone which could contain, for example, number that FaceTime sends a hidden activation text message to. Is this confirmable and any way I can check/edit this number? Phone is not jailbroken or hacked. Apple id is new as well, so not shared and I have tried hard reset, restore from recovery mode, upgrade from iTunes and reset as suggested above too.

Alternatively how can I get rid of the old carrier bits as they persist no matter what I do?

iPhone sending out texts without my knowing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.