Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Training For Beginners

I've just bought my first Mac (Book Pro Retina)

Apple won't allow me to purchase One to One training as I didn't buy from their retail store.

I did read the T&C but I didn't understand their definition of retail store until today .

I take responsibility for my error in not buying from an Apple store.

I am really pleased with my Mac but I am unimpressed with Apple

The person I spoke with at the Apple store today said we want to help our customers but then said I can't offer you the training

I know, I know, these are the rules for someone who is new to Apple this seems like poor service

Anyway having said my piece, my question is what can I do for training

I've started watching the Mac training videos on the Apple website, I've been told there is training on You Tube

Does any one have any suggestions for where else I get some training please (I don't know anyone else with a Mac)

Thanks

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 5:42 AM

8 replies

Mar 18, 2015 4:22 PM in response to mondayitis

oh well no answers so I will put something on here myself in-case someone else needs to know this. Went to free Apple in house training, was good for a basic start. There is lots of information online some free, some has to be paid for. So faro I have found David Cox from http://PCClassesOnline.com to be a very worthwhile source of training. Training is all online and free.

Mar 18, 2015 7:30 PM in response to spudnuty

Thanks, yes I had a one 2 one when I first got the Mac as I was struggling to grasp the differences between the mac and a windows environment.

The session was very helpful as the person gave me a comprehensive tour of the apps and settings. Having that session made it easier to do the intro class at the Mac store. Now I'm doing the classes online I mentioned above and there's lots of helpful info and vids on the mac website. Once I feel like I have a more solid grasp of the basics I may invest in another one 2 one.

May 1, 2015 12:34 AM in response to mondayitis

Actually I do not get why I can't purchase one on one training for my MacBook. It's not my fault that I was given this product as a gift. Funny how when I asked at the store I was given the same response (we want to help our customers but...) only it was very rude. Felt like the person was just not interested in anything I had to say. The associates response was "well the smart thing was to have bought it here at our store." I didn't even waste my time responding to her (guess it's a Staten Island attitude thing). So I picked my jaw up off the floor and left, imagine that.

May 1, 2015 7:23 AM in response to JoeP1124

This is the link for your "Terms and services:

https://www.apple.com/retail/learn/one-to-one/terms.html

" One to One membership is only available at the time of purchase to those customers who buy a new, Apple Certified Refurbished, or Clearance Apple Macintosh computer (“Mac” or “eligible Apple Product”) in an Apple Retail Store, from the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), or by calling 800-MY-APPLE. For the purpose of these Terms and Conditions, the time of purchase” extends for 14 days from the date of purchase."

"It's not my fault that I was given this product as a gift."

It might be that whoever bought this for you will have to transfer the account to your name and allow you to buy one to one.

May 1, 2015 8:32 AM in response to mondayitis

Here's another thing you could try. Get one of David Pogues "missing manuals" books and use it as a reference while learning the Mac. These books are very helpful and I purchase one for every new version of OS X when it comes out. Even though I've used Macs since 1987 I always find helpful information in those books. And Pogue writes with a nice sense of humor so they are actually fun to read. You can get one for whichever version of OS X that your computer is running. Here's one for Yosemite:

http://www.amazon.com/OS-Yosemite-Missing-Manual-Manuals/dp/1491947160/ref=sr_1_ 3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430493902&sr=8-3&keywords=david+pogue

Cheers, Rick

Mac Training For Beginners

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.