Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 iOS 8 Voice Control comes on randomly while using headphones, how do I disable??

I already disabled Siri from Settings > General > Siri

This is really annoying, it stops my music and I try to navigate on the phone and the Voice Control screen appears and doesn't want to go away. Help please!

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 7:15 AM

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileIt was absolutely driving me insane so I did the isolating tape thing and it works perfectly now! Thank you for that!

Just for the people that hasn’t really notice the metal part that makes the difference for comparison reasons I am posting pics

The white one is an apple headphone which never stopped working.. thanks again!

81 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2017 7:15 AM in response to blonde_fury

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileIt was absolutely driving me insane so I did the isolating tape thing and it works perfectly now! Thank you for that!

Just for the people that hasn’t really notice the metal part that makes the difference for comparison reasons I am posting pics

The white one is an apple headphone which never stopped working.. thanks again!

Oct 8, 2014 7:50 AM in response to blonde_fury

I have a similar trouble sometimes, I am using Samsung headphones with my iPhone. Sometimes Siri will randomly activate - it might only be once or twice, it might be every 2 seconds. Sometimes, I also hear a clicking noise in the headphones.

I have found that if I insert the headphone jack aligned/rotated a certain way it does not happen. Or at least, doesn't happen anywhere near as much. It must be that the connectors on the jack are slightly different to the port?

Either way, a very frustrating issue! Is anyone else having the same trouble?

Oct 20, 2014 9:34 PM in response to blonde_fury

Since the remote on your headphones work as a trigger for Siri or Voice Control, check if the headphones are working as they are supposed to do. In quite a few cases this issue has been resolved by replacing the headphones. Especially third-party headphones can cause problems like this.

In addition you can check you settings on your iPhone: Settings > Touch ID & Code > (when Passcode set) toggle Voice dial off. Voice Control for music is always active though.

hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Pstim00236

That situation might work if you haven't already turned on the passcode option. For thos of us who have it will not work.

This has to be a bug in the new IOS8.1 version as it didn't happen on IOS 8.0.2.

It's very annoying when they disable a function. I've never used Siri, and will never use it. The voice control kicking in every 10 seconds when I have my dead phones plugged in (just because they're not apple brand. I hate apple headphones.

Nov 26, 2014 5:57 AM in response to blonde_fury

Same problem. I listen to podcasts on my 90-minute commute, and this has become not only an annoyance but a safety concern. I disabled Siri but that didn't stop it. Happens only when I have my iphone headphones in. No problem playing through speakers. I'll try the passcode fix but I'm not optimistic. Definitely has to be an IOS bug. Apple, are you reading this?

Nov 30, 2014 1:40 AM in response to blonde_fury

I had the same problem. Random activating of Voice Control (without headphones using), no possibility to disable it. Navigation worked in this mode (1x tap = choice, 2x tap = click ) BUT only in Voice Control menu... not worked. When I tapped twice to disable Voice Control, slider turned back to on in second 😟.

I restored my iPhone from Mac, it helped (I had to disable Find my iPhone in iCloud settings in iPhone, it was annoying to enter the password by 2x tap mode for each click 😟).

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Dec 1, 2014 6:56 AM in response to johnfromtimonium

UPDATE: Well, followed instructions to a T on my less-than-a-year-old 5S, and had no problems Friday driving home. This morning, however, Voice Control popped up every 30 seconds. Worse, when I got back to the podcast, it tooled along at double time. I can't drive and listen to podcasts--which is the primary reason I have an iPhone. I will contact Apple Support today. This is utter nonsense. I should not have to disable half my phone's capabilities to enjoy an exclusive feature it promotes. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

iPhone 6 iOS 8 Voice Control comes on randomly while using headphones, how do I disable??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.