Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 speaker has crackling sound.

My brand new iPhone 6 has a crackling sound in it's speakers. I have restored it in iTunes but it remains. Hardware problem???

iPhone 6, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 2:35 PM

Hi Jemimaclare,

If you are having unusual speaker issues with your new iPhone 6, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful:

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

If you are still having issues, especially given that it is brand new, you may want to have it evaluated for service. You may find this page useful:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Regards,

- Brenden

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2014 2:35 PM in response to Jemimaclare

Hi Jemimaclare,

If you are having unusual speaker issues with your new iPhone 6, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful:

iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker

If you are still having issues, especially given that it is brand new, you may want to have it evaluated for service. You may find this page useful:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Regards,

- Brenden

Sep 12, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Jemimaclare

Yeah I have the same issue. I have had 4 iPhone 6 plus' and all have developed the same issues. The ear speaker rattles or buzzes when people speak. I have given up on Apple. They have replaced my phone 4 times and all have had the same issue. I Feel cheated. Apple usually has quality products. I've had the 4s and 5s and am disappointed with the 6 plus

Oct 12, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Jemimaclare

Yup I have this same problem to I think it's most likely a hardware or software issue. I called Apple Customer Service and they told me to restore my iPhone 6, and if it keeps doing the static noise to bring it into the Genius Bar. I think it has nothing to do with Carrier's its most likely an iPhone 6 thing because I'm on Sprint. It's funny though because this is the second time it's done it a week after it first happened. Usually I just toggle the mute switch button and it goes away the first time I powered off my phone because I thought there was a glitch in my speaker from a video I was watching but I guess not. Right now I'm restoring my phone hopefully it works otherwise I gotta go to the Apple Store tomorrow this *****.

Nov 6, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Jemimaclare

I confirm this defect iPhone 6!

I changed the phone is under warranty, and I was given a new one. But this defect is and on a completely new device! This problem is well known among the people of Russia, but Apple still does not want to accept this a software defect. Many People change for a number of new phones in the service center, but the result is the same, there is a crash during a conversation !!! Even at this forum not created one topic with this question, but the developers still can not eliminate this defect since April - after the release of firmware ios 8.3. On firmware 8.2 everything was OK!

Dear developers, hear its users !!!!!

I apologize for my English, Google Translate))))

Dec 26, 2015 8:18 PM in response to Randothecomando

This was my second times got a replacement for my 6s due to crackling sound ...its still the same ....i owned more then 5 apple products on my house ....big disappointment ...this is my last and ill never buy an apple product again ... as an engineer i feel apple could have done so much to resolve this issue ...the sound quality can be controlled in a software easily but they never took an effort to work on it on IOS 9...

well they will have to answer this to Malaysian consumers rights and i am going to sue them for my time and money...

Feb 7, 2016 11:25 AM in response to Vignaraj

Vignaraj wrote:

IIt's two different issues...mine is crackling sound when i speak to someone over the phone...i know you trying to help but it's confusing people ....it's my third I phone 6s ...this phone ***** big time...the same issue again...wish Apple down to the drain soon....they can't resolve a pretty issue

So, wait a minute... You have had 3 DIFFERENT iPhone 6S units, and this problem only occurs when you are speaking on the phone to another person.

And you think that it's either the hardware of the three units or the software. And yet, the exact same software runs without issue on millions of other users' iPhone 6S units.

And you're an engineer? You haven't considered the one common technical element in all of this? (actually, there are a few, but with different units, it's not the hardware. And with different iOS installations [which has to be the case for 3 different units] it's not the iOS)

There are four main 'components' to any issue with an iOS device:

1) Hardware

2) Software

3) User data

4) Environmental or account-side issues

For example, if my wi-fi doesn't work when I'm at my friend's house, but works everywhere else, is it more likely that my phone has an issue or his wi-fi has an issue? If my iPhone screen is blurry when I use it normally, but when I restore it as new without my personal data, it's clear, is that likely a hardware issue or a user data issue?

Think about it logically for a moment; what are the common elements in all three instances you've had this problem?

User data or environmental/account-side. Not the hardware (odds of three consecutive units all have an identical hardware failure are extremely slim) or the software (three different fresh installations had to have happened on those three devices, so the odds, again, are astronomical, especially since the same iOS isn't causing this issue in everyone else's devices)

Does this issue occur when you have the devices set up as new, without any of your personal data on the device? No? Hmm, then what's left... environmental/account-side.

What are the common elements there? Could be the user himself, could be the location in which the devices are used, could be the wireless carrier, since that's also a common element between all three.

What did your carrier say?

Did you test the speaker/receiver/headphones at all using the Voice memo function?

Did you do any real troubleshooting at all?

Feb 7, 2016 9:37 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Definitely i am not going to come for a solution without checking all above you mentioned. i am going to keep my reply simple. I have an old i phone 5 with me and when I change the same sim card to that phone it does not cause this issue...yeap i am an engineer.Hope that make sense to you..a peer to peer check is good enough for troubleshooting...any why cant it be 3 consecutive phone having an hardware issue-there is always something called batch production defect.. Thanks for taking your time to explaining..i figured all what you meant before coming to the blog to seek assistance

Feb 8, 2016 4:23 AM in response to Vignaraj

Vignaraj wrote:

Definitely i am not going to come for a solution without checking all above you mentioned. i am going to keep my reply simple. I have an old i phone 5 with me and when I change the same sim card to that phone it does not cause this issue...yeap i am an engineer.Hope that make sense to you..a peer to peer check is good enough for troubleshooting...any why cant it be 3 consecutive phone having an hardware issue-there is always something called batch production defect.. Thanks for taking your time to explaining..i figured all what you meant before coming to the blog to seek assistance

Once again I will ask:

What did your carrier say?

Did you test the speaker/receiver/headphones at all using the Voice memo function?

iPhone 6 speaker has crackling sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.