Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshow Crashes Photos in iOS 8 on iPad

Whenever I start a slideshow in iOS 8 on my iPad, it plays normally for 2-3 minutes and then crashes the Photos app. Any thoughts on a workaround?

I am using a 3rd generation iPad running iOS 8.02. Thanks.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 8

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 6:59 AM

23 replies

Nov 3, 2014 7:28 AM in response to Holt Goddard

My iPad2 works great now after IOS 8.1 Update

NO problem with Slide Show

This might be a reason why so many iPads won't Update right.

While the iOS 8.1 just consumes around 90MB of space, you need at least 5GB of free space to initiate the download."

Go to Settings, General, Storage, Manage Storage and you will see how much space each App uses.

I did my iPad2 16GB update thru iTunes on my iMac with 8GB of memory and it was sucking the iMacs memory very low during the update. Safari froze before loading the first web page and I did a hard boot and went fishing as I saw where it was going to take a long time to recover. When I tried again it wasn't quite right and then did one more hard boot and then did a Reset by going to General-Reset-"Reset all Settings" and it works real well now without loosing any data and in-home wi-fi clocks at 17Mbps download. I backup my iPad on my computer. Probably like most of you I’m sticking with OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks as it gets the job done very nicely and don’t need all that extra fancy stuff that probably will slow things down.

Nov 16, 2014 8:29 AM in response to Holt Goddard

I have the same problem after installing IOS8 on my 3rd generation iPad, was told in the Apple Store that I did not have enough RAM, (3rd generation only had 256 MB) So I bought the iPaid Air 2, which supposedly has 2G RAM, but the same applies. After about 50 photos it crashes back to an empty screen.

Before IOS8 and all the updates I did not have this problem, Photos Slideshow worked just fine then even with my limited RAM. btw I had 800 pics in one album and not a problem.

Nov 21, 2014 3:42 AM in response to Scarberia

Got the same problem (ipad 3, ios 8.1.1). If Apple does not solve this issue with the forthcoming update, I will go back to android. Since ios 7/8 there are several bugs, which occur on all ios devices. So, it is not true, what Apple told their customers (Memory leak problem). I think, they want to sell more new devices by telling wrong facts.

And this is a standard feature!!!! Every mac/pc since the middle of the 1990s was able to play a photoshow without crashing. Like almost every Tablet pc on the market, also the older devices...

Shame on you Apple programmers! @Tim Cook: If you are going on doing business like this, your company will be bankrupt in a few years. Steve Jobs would turn into his grave, because the usability is becoming more and more unefficent. The usability and smoothness was the main reason for me and many other people to buy an Apple device. Where is it now?

Nov 23, 2014 4:48 AM in response to Johnny Goodweed

Same problem here. The crashes uccurs around approx 100 pics depending on the size (resolutions). My iPad is version2 running 8.1.1. I also have an iPad1 running 5.1.1 and here the slideshows run perfectly, even with 400+ pictures. I pretty much agree with your comments, Johnny. Photos in 8.1.1 has become more or less useless. I sync my Events vis iTunes and the Events used to show up on my iPad in Alphabetic order (still does on 5.1.1). But on my iPad2 with 8.1.1 they show up in random order. And if you have some 300+ Events it's very cumbersome to search through all to find the right one to show off.

Dec 8, 2014 8:02 PM in response to Holt Goddard

I filed a bug report with Apple about the slideshow problem a couple of weeks ago. I've also been in touch with AppleCare. The advisor who's handling my case is trying to be helpful, but this is a software problem, not something she can fix. She sent a problem report to engineering on November 20. As of today she has not received a response. I'm very disappointed with Apple right now. The slideshow ran my 1,500+ photos flawlessly for hours with iOS 7. Then Apple broke it, and now even Apple's own reps can't find out if Apple intends to fix the problem they created.

Slideshow Crashes Photos in iOS 8 on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.