Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook "No entry" sign at startup (Grey screen)

Hi, when I try to start up my 2011 Macbook Pro I get a "No entry" sign that sometimes switches between the "apple" logo and then occasionally, but very rarely will I see a "folder with a ?". Is there anything I can do so I can get my computer working? I have OS X 10.9.1 and from what I remember a disc didn't come with my computer when I bought it new (so I can't insert a disc to install os x).

Side Note: I am posting from my computer that I have talked about above. This is a very good sign, however I know it'll get slow soon and then I'll have to reboot it only to get the grey screen again. (After turning it on and off 100 times I finally was able to get to use it this time).

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 2:22 PM

Hello Ballerholic,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like there is trouble starting the computer. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you resolve or isolate the issue.

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)

A "broken folder" icon, a prohibitory sign, or "kernel panic" message appears.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day,

Mario

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Ballerholic

Hello Ballerholic,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like there is trouble starting the computer. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help you resolve or isolate the issue.

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)

A "broken folder" icon, a prohibitory sign, or "kernel panic" message appears.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day,

Mario

Macbook "No entry" sign at startup (Grey screen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.