Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 freezing on black screen during phone use

I'm having issues where when i take a phone call and place the phone to my ear and the phone goes to the black screen, it's locking there and i can't get the normal screen to reappear. The only way is once the other caller hangs up, then the screen will magically reappear, but during the phone call i am completely locked out of the phone. Nothing works, not the home button, not the sleep button, nothing.

i've restarted and reset and it still does it about 50% of the time.

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 12:20 PM

Do you have a screen protector or case on the phone? If so, try removing them and seeing. It looks as if the proximity sensor is being blocked by something and the other party hanging up is generating a screen change that is opening up the phone.

11 replies

Oct 8, 2014 12:53 PM in response to alexfromhigh point

If that does not help, you can try the user troubleshooting steps, restart, reset, restore from backup, and finally restore as new. Or, you can do as Briansyddall provides and that is make an appointment at the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple store or depending on how long you have had it, the retailer where you purchased the device if not from Apple.

Dec 2, 2014 10:17 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I've been having this problem ever since my iPhone 6 arrived. (And no, there is no case blocking the proximity sensor, please don't suggest that again).

This is clearly a bug, and a LOT of users are running into it (for instance, here's one of several other recent posts on about this problem: Iphone screen goes black during calls. . .)

It is random. Usually, if the phone experiences an "event" while the screen is black (such as receiving a text message or another incoming call) it wakes up. There is no response to the user, pressing the home button, volume buttons, tapping power, or trying any screen touch does nothing. The call cannot be hung up. The only solution is to hard reset (hold power & home until the phone reboots).

Apr 21, 2015 3:32 PM in response to alexfromhigh point

I recently bought an iPhone 6+. During a call, the screen went nuts moving from blank to call screen rapidly. When I pressed the home button it went back to the call and then blank screen. I accessed the home screen during the call and then touched the green bar at the top to return to call but this didn't help because I went back to a blank screen or it was totally unresponsive to touch. I read the replies below about the proximity sensor and tested with my hand and yes, the screen went blank. The proximity sensor (and I could be wrong here) appears to be the thin slit at the top of the phone. The problem corrected itself when I took off the plastic cover of the phone case I bought (Griffin Survivor) and peeled away the material covering the same slit on the plastic cover that matches the position of the slit on the iPhone. Problem solved after testing.

Nov 20, 2016 9:08 AM in response to alexfromhigh point

Half of all the replies are fanboys saying reboot restore refresh call Apple. It's so irritating when you are searching for an answer. Please fix this. Please note pressing the power button disconnects the call! Nothing wakes the phone but your party hanging up. I vaguely recall having the issue way back 3GS maybe. I either fixed it or it went away somehow Also putting call on speaker seems to prevent this but I know this is not always possible. I am a big iPhone fan but the couple little things that are not quite right about it are real headaches.

Iphone 6 freezing on black screen during phone use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.