Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange questions

Question #1:

When I boot I keep getting the following message:

"FireVault secures the data on your disk by encrypting its contents automatically.

WARNING: You will need your login password or a recovery key to access your data, etc.

You can turn it on in preferences>Security>FireVault.

FireVault is turned off for the disk Macintosh HD”

This hasn’t happened in the 7 years I own the computer.

I began happening right after Intuit took some viruses off my computer.

Should I continue to check yes, check no, or turn it on?

Something about event manager and applications not working correctly.

My Fire Wall is turned on.

Is there any harm in turning it on?

If I turn it on it generates a recovery key which I’m to keep to access my data.

Does this mean I can’t just use my password?

Question #2:

I Preferences>Security>Privacy>Enable Location Services, there appears a window showing that “Maps.app” has requested my location within the last 24 hours.

I don’t understand what this means.

I tried to delete it, but its non responsive, I can’t highlight or uncheck it.

Any advice as what I should do?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 1Tb, Titanium Ext FireWire Dr

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 11:45 AM

Regarding question 1, there seem to be 10 or 15 questions there. But you're asking about FileVault (not FireVault). So here's a writeup about FileVault:

OS X: About FileVault 2

Regarding question 2, you cannot delete an informative message. It means when you used your Maps app, possibly because you clicked on the arrow in the upper left corner, Maps tried to learn your position.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2014 11:45 AM in response to Frank Abramonte1

Regarding question 1, there seem to be 10 or 15 questions there. But you're asking about FileVault (not FireVault). So here's a writeup about FileVault:

OS X: About FileVault 2

Regarding question 2, you cannot delete an informative message. It means when you used your Maps app, possibly because you clicked on the arrow in the upper left corner, Maps tried to learn your position.

Strange questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.