Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring new iPhone 5S from old phone back up (iOS 7)

I got a new iPhone 5S today and planned on restoring the back up from my old one that i backed up this morning. Both iPhones are 5S and running on iOS 7. When i plugged in my new phone to restore the back up from this morning, it said my new phone's software was too old to use the back up, even though they both are on iOS 7, not 8. It says the only way to do it is to update to iOS 8 first and then restore the back up, but i didn't want to have iOS 8.. any help or ways to use the back up without updating to iOS 8?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 3:12 PM

3 replies

Oct 8, 2014 5:20 PM in response to seanzzz

You would need to have the exact same version of iOS on both devices.

So if your old 5S had 7.1.2 (the latest version of iOS 7), then your new phone needs to at least have that same version or something newer.

Unfortunately, you'll have to choose between restoring your backup & updating to iOS 8, or losing your data unless/until you choose to upgrade & restore from the backup.

~Lyssa

Apr 26, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Katiefitz26

If your new/replacement phone isn't up to date, here's what you can do:

1) Set up the replacement phone as new & complete the update

2) Once you're finished setting up the phone, go into Settings>General>Reset and choose Erase all content and Settings

That will put the phone back in its original state & you can then restore it from a backup.

~Lyssa

Restoring new iPhone 5S from old phone back up (iOS 7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.