Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I migrate an iMovie '11 project to iMovie 10?

My girlfriend created a video project running Lion 10.7.5 on her computer in iMovie '11 (version 9.0.9). She had a series of events/videos and titles arranged in a specific order. I copied the Movies folder to an external hard drive and would like to open her cut of the events and titles into my installation of iMovie 10.0.5 on Mavericks.

I have been able to import the events into a new iMovie 10 project, but I cannot retrieve the cuts and arrangements she made.

If I double click on the iMovie project file, it opens my old copy of iMovie '09 (version 8.06).

Is there any way I can recover her version of cuts to the events?

Many thanks!

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 9:11 AM

Hi VCNY,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you want to update projects from an earlier version of iMovie to iMovie 10. There are just a couple of steps you will need to do to accomplish this. Please let me know if this is not working or you need further assistance.

iMovie (2013): Updating projects and events from previous versions of iMovie

To update projects and events on external drives

1. Verify that the iMovie Projects and iMovie Events folders are stored on the top-level of the drive.
  2. Open iMovie.
  3. ChooseFile > Update Projects and Events.

Cheers,

Joe

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2014 9:11 AM in response to VCNY

Hi VCNY,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you want to update projects from an earlier version of iMovie to iMovie 10. There are just a couple of steps you will need to do to accomplish this. Please let me know if this is not working or you need further assistance.

iMovie (2013): Updating projects and events from previous versions of iMovie

To update projects and events on external drives

1. Verify that the iMovie Projects and iMovie Events folders are stored on the top-level of the drive.
  2. Open iMovie.
  3. ChooseFile > Update Projects and Events.

Cheers,

Joe

How do I migrate an iMovie '11 project to iMovie 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.