Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set the computer to open a file with a single click?

Why sould I have to right click "Open" each time I want to open a file instead of double clicking on the file or folder?

Each time I want to open a file or folder, I have to right click on it and then select "Open." Then when I find the file I want I have to right click on the file and the select Open" again... Shouldn't one be able to just click on the older and it open?

Seems it used to be able to just click on the file or folder to open it; without having to select "Open".

I have a Late 2013 iMac...

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B02

SMC Version (system): 2.15f2

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 10:43 PM

7 replies

Oct 9, 2014 1:16 PM in response to Schionatulander

Than you for the reply.

Sorry for the confusion. I am aware that I can open the files in the dock and launchpad.

However, I can't open any file in the "Finder" folder without first clicking on the file or folder and then right click "OPEN" to view the file or folder. Then when I open a folder and it has a file, I have to go through the same procedure: right click "OPEN" to view the files...

Or if I have a file or folder saved on the screen, I have to go through the same "OPEN" procedure I just described...

Oct 9, 2014 3:24 PM in response to Papasan

depends on the "View" style you have chosen in the Finder. This is "Columns" view 'Tool' location and is selected

User uploaded file

In this View, single clicks Select items. The Sidebar is a top level with the Desktop (folder) selected > a folder therein selected > a folder within selected > yet another folder within selected > a file selected therein > and finally with the preview of the file displayed

User uploaded file

One could Double click the hilited file to open it here OR click > slight pause > click to edit the filename

Double clicking folders in this view jumps straight to edit the foldername

If you want the traditional double-click to open everything you choose you must use one of the other two view tools.

User uploaded file or User uploaded file

All the icons in this area ARE single click to open or activate

User uploaded file

User uploaded file is get info and

User uploaded file is Move to the Trash

The rest are either Apps or files that you place there by drag and drop from the Finder window lists

In this case

iTunes, Grab --------- two TextEdit files, a Macromedia Director 'player' file/miniApp, CalculatorApp, ChessApp

Some things change... and some things never do!

CCC

How do I set the computer to open a file with a single click?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.