Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

charger won't connect to iphone 6 plus

why won't my 2 week old iphone 6 plus accept the lighting charger anymore.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 12:38 AM

48 replies

Mar 7, 2017 10:41 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I just had this happen to me and, yep, pocket lint was the cause. I tried the compressed air and it didn't do anything. I didn't have a toothpick, but against my better judgement, I used a safety pin. The first hint that this might be the issue was when I could push it in deeper on one side than the other. I wiggled it around a little an pulled out a little fluff. A few more pokes and prods and a big chunk came out! After that, a few gentle blasts with compressed air and I'm back in business!

It's crazy how it went from "everything's okay" to "oh no, I can't plug in my phone!" in one day.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Mar 8, 2017 12:56 PM in response to Wardoggie

I'm glad you got it fixed.

Since I originally recommend canned air, it was pointed out to me that Apple recommends against it. I have used it on may occasions to clean out ports with no problems HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it might not cause problems. So, I no longer recommend it.

I use these things:

http://www.gumbrand.com/gum-soft-picks-40-ct-632rc.html

The package I bought even had nice little plastic boxes for them. I keep a set in my tool pouch.

May 12, 2017 10:43 PM in response to dogear

I tried everything else suggested--I could see a moving object in the plug port hole, but was afraid to really dig it out. I also live hours from apple store and it is one in the morning! no genius bar appts tip Monday and I work. So thanks for the paper clip suggestion, Holding my breath I tried that, with a magnifying glass and my husband's readers. Ah hah, a tiny bit of metal lodged in there--I was in a jeweler's workroom all afternoon, so there you have it. But that worked, it flipped out and disappeared. Do they make port covers? Sort of like the plastic over the screen thing??

May 13, 2017 8:33 AM in response to Trakltrans

Trakltrans wrote:

I tried everything else suggested--I could see a moving object in the plug port hole, but was afraid to really dig it out. I also live hours from apple store and it is one in the morning! no genius bar appts tip Monday and I work. So thanks for the paper clip suggestion, Holding my breath I tried that, with a magnifying glass and my husband's readers. Ah hah, a tiny bit of metal lodged in there--I was in a jeweler's workroom all afternoon, so there you have it. But that worked, it flipped out and disappeared. Do they make port covers? Sort of like the plastic over the screen thing??

There are cases with port covers. Lifeproof makes some very low profile ones. If you're going to be in an environment with metal shavings floating about, I'd recommend such a case. If you don't feel like shelling out that much money, put your phone in a ziplock back while you're in the workroom.

Best of luck.

Aug 1, 2017 10:06 AM in response to dogear

This is the single most concise, most articulate, and most useful thread I've seen on here in years. Your contribution was especially useful because in my case, canned air hadn't worked. And though preliminary efforts with a toothpick had been substantially effective, I thought I'd best persist a bit, as a prophylaxis against it happening again soon. And indeed, as you have indicated, if one presses a little bit hard, A LOT more lint comes out. In case anyone is doing this on an iPhone 6 as I was - you will know you have gone far enough when the uppermost wall of the compartment (the one nearest to the top of the phone) turns white ! It's made of white plastic apparently; mine had been as grey as a summer sky in London.

Oct 9, 2014 3:55 AM in response to imrichbatch

Do you mean that when you plug the lightning cable into the iPhone and try to charge it, the charge function does not work? Have you tried a Reset on the iPhone? There is no risk in a Reset if your have not tried it. Hold your Sleep / Wake button (Power Button) and the Home button at the same time until the white Apple Logo appears on the screen, then release both buttons, but let the iPhone fully Reset until your Lock-Screen appears. Then try your charging cable again and see if the iPhone will charge. Also, with your lightning cable plugged into the iPhone and the USB side plugged into the charger and an AC outlet, turn the iPhone on and see if the battery icon at the top of the phone screen shows that it is being powered.

Nov 2, 2014 1:32 AM in response to WiseJD

I have the iPhone 6 and I just had the same issue. I think you didn't understand the issue stated. What imrichbatch means is, the charger with the lightening connector won't plug in all the way. Mine was fine this morning when I unplugged it from the charger but now it won't plug in. It is like something is blocking it, but there is nothing broken off. This seems to be a hardware issue.

Nov 2, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Robertcafe

The OP never clarified exactly what their problem was so, it may or may not be the same as yours.

I realize you said there is nothing in the charging port. However, have you checked with a strong light and a magnifier? I can't count the number of times I've seen iPhones with pocket lint in the ports, shoved all the way to the back. Toothpicks are my tool of choice for removing it. If you can't find anything in the port, the next step would be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store.

Best of luck.

Nov 2, 2014 6:47 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I agree, I am never putting it in my pants pocket again. That could be a design tweak for Apple to look at. I hate to bring up a Samsung/Android phone which I am glad I no longer need to use, but there was a small sliding piece where the mini usb port is on the phone I had, which kept lint and dust out. I know Apple would design something much cooler then that.

Nov 2, 2014 6:54 PM in response to Robertcafe

Yes, some (not all) Android phones have a piece that covers the charging port. But even the one on the Samsung Galaxy S5 is annoying. It gets in the way. And is way to easy to break. One hopes that, should Apple ever use such a thing, that they design it better.

Submit your feedback directly to Apple using the appropriate link on the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

charger won't connect to iphone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.