Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Messages application on my Mac stopped working suddenly. It won't receive or let me send messages from my computer. What should I do to fix this problem?

My Messages application on my Mac stopped working suddenly. It won't receive new messages or let me send messages from my computer. I've tried multiple things to fix it, but nothing seems to be working. What should I do?

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 7:10 PM

48 replies

Nov 13, 2017 12:52 PM in response to DaDrainer

Hi,

You can test by limiting the Mac version to use just the Apple ID and th iPhone to just the iPhone Number.

hen you can manually enter the iPhone Number in the "to Spot" on the Mac (as it will not use the My Card details) and send an iMessage to the iPhone.

If the iPhone does not get the messages then the Mac version is not logging in properly.

If this is the case then use this Users Tip When the iMessages account will not Login

User uploaded file

8:51 pm Monday; November 13, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Nov 29, 2017 11:07 AM in response to tbarras12

Hi,

Please note that since this Thread Started there have been several newer version of the Mac OS and therefore newer version of Messages

If you mean the iMessages account then the item in the Messages Menu about Status does not apply.

You need to have an account that has a Buddy List such as Google/Jabber (in High Sierra) and/or AIM or Bonjour in slightly earlier version and possibly Yahoo is being offered as an option in still earlier versions.

However AIM is about to finish their service In December. Yahoo ended theirs and then rewrote the App from the ground up.

The Test above involves restricting the Receive At item to just the Apple ID on the Mac.

On the iPhone restrict Send and Receive to just the iPhone Number.

Then on the Mac manually enter your iPhone Number in the "To" Spot of a New Message (it will not bring up the My Card info if you type in your own name).

Then send an iMessage to the iPhone Number.

If the iPhone does not get it then the Mac version is not logged in properly and you need the link above.

User uploaded file

7:07 pm Wednesday; November 29, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Feb 21, 2017 3:44 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

This worked for me.

1) Skip all the suggestions above.

2) iPhone settings -> Messages -> Text message forwarding -> turn off your mac device first

3) Mac Messages app -> iMessage preferences -> Accounts. At the bottom it says "Start new conversations from:".

4) Click on the dropdown and select your email instead of your number

That should be it. Now try to turn on sms forwarding on your iPhone again. An authorisation code should finally appear in Mac Messages app so you can activate msg forwarding normally.

Oct 10, 2014 1:06 PM in response to greencm5

Hi,

What precisely have you tried ?

Also knowing which version of the OS and which version of Messages you are using could help.

User uploaded file

9:05 pm Friday; October 10, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Oct 24, 2014 4:34 PM in response to greencm5

My Messages app is doing the same thing, although I do not know if this is a recent issue or not as I haven't used Messages in a while (last used on 4/14/14).

After upgrading to Yosemite and iOS 8.1 I was very interested in trying the forwarding feature, and set up message forwarding on my iMac (24-inch, Early 2009) and iPhone 6. I was able to successfully set up forwarding with the generated code from my iMac, but cannot send or receive any messages on my iMac using Messages - I get a "Your message cannot be sent" error and that's it. No messages that appear on my iPhone display on my iMac the way they used to.

in Messages, I have the following settings (both iMac & iPhone):

AppleID (logged in)

Enabled

You can be reached for messages at:

iPhone cell #

AppleID@icloud.com

AppleID@me.com

AppleID@mac.com

Start new conversations from:

iPhone cell #

ETA: I've also tried changing the "Start new conversation..." setting to each of the above email addresses, but none worked.

Thx.

Oct 25, 2014 12:01 PM in response to kinaed

Hi,

I am not sure the issues are the same as the Original is so short on info.

However try PRAM reset.

Restart the computer holding down the CMD+ALT+P+R keys at Start up until you have heard 3 Start Up bongs and then let the Start Up continue normally.

User uploaded file

8:01 pm Saturday; October 25, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 26, 2014 5:47 PM in response to greencm5

Hi,

I am also having the same problem after the OS X update to 8.1 and setting up handoff I can no longer send iMessages or receive on my mac. I have tried the PRAM reset, signed out of all accounts and back in. Done the delete from library/preferences etc...

How ever when I create a guest user the iMessages app works in that. But I want to be using iMessage in my regular account.

Any Suggestions?

Oct 26, 2014 6:34 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Sorry for the delay in my response, had an autumnal storm that knocked out power briefly, internet for an extended period.

I too tried the PRAM suggestion, to no avail.

I also tried generating an application-specific password (no real hope for that working with Messages, but thought I'd give it a try anyway). Interestingly, I did receive a message from Apple with my AppleID verification code in OS X messages, but further attempts at sending/receiving to any/all contacts failed.

I wonder if this is a permissions issue?

Oct 27, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Demonref

Hi,

Open the Finder > Go Menu > GO to Folder then enter ~/Library/Preferences into the Dialogue box (the leading tilde ~ is important)

In here find com.apple.imessages.bag.plist (this holds the server info) and drag it to the Trash and restart the app. (it refreshes the .plist and forces it to log in to the server again).

If that does not work delete com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist

This one contains the Apple ID and the other "aliases" the Mac version is logging in with for Send And Receive)

One Restarting the app you will need to re-enter the Apple ID (re-register). Once that is done restart the app and accept the pops ups about your other devices to link to the iPhone Number.

User uploaded file

8:40 pm Monday; October 27, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 27, 2014 1:56 PM in response to kinaed

HI

Whilst your Apple ID (presumably the @mac.com) may have been the original and been linked to @me.com at the MobileMe period and then to iCloud (@icloud.com) you need to keep to the same Apple ID through out (the iMessages server seems to treat them as different IDs to some extent).

In the Finder use the Go Menu > Go to Folder and enter ~/Library/Preferences

Find and Drag to the Trash com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist

On the iPhone remove those emails that are not the Apple ID in use.

On Restarting the Mac version you will have to re-enter the Apple ID.

If you then restart again you should get the pop ups to say what the iPhone is using (linking the iPhone number to the Apple ID)

Once you enable Text Forwarding on the iPhone then the Mac Version should generate and show you the Code to then enter in the iPhone's dialogue box to pair the devices.

If each Contact is turning red as you try to Send and reporting that the Contact is "Not Registered with iMessages" then you have a different issue.

This is caused by a partial login to the iMessages server and it seems it is one of those that only contacting Apple Support and saying you have an Account issue with the iMessages server from your Mac can it get sorted. (make sure you say it is an Account issue)

Of course it is the iPhone that is actually sending the SMS messages so it does need to have Carrier service at this point.

User uploaded file

8:56 pm Monday; October 27, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 28, 2014 1:10 PM in response to kinaed

Hi,

Can you do what demonref did ? Create another Mac User Account (System Preferences > User and Groups).

Once that is done set up the Messages app with the same info as you use in the current Mac User Account.

I gave demonref specific instructions to delete a .plist in his Home Folder as most .plists are held per the User Account and so the issue only effects their regular Mac User account which leads to the targeted response.

I take it the sending of iMessages works on an iPhone ?

User uploaded file

8:10 pm Tuesday; October 28, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 29, 2014 9:39 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I created a new user account with admin privileges.

Went through the setup wizard, logged into iCloud and setup iMessage. A second, deactivated iMac appeared on my iPhone's Text Message Forwarding setting panel, which I attempted to activate, thinking it represented the new user account. When activating, it asked for the activation code, which never appeared on my iMac.

Nevertheless, I was able to send and receive iMessages on both my iMac and iPhone.

I logged out of the new account, and attempted to use iMessage with my original user account, which failed. I then tried enabling the new "disabled" iMac on my iPhone which resulted in the exact same thing as with the new user account; the iPhone requested the activation code, which did not appear on the iMac.

I then disabled the new iMac account on my iPhone, re-enabled it and was immediately presented with a new activation code on my iMac. After entering the activation code, I attempted to send an iMessage on my iMac, which failed.

Thoughts?

Oct 30, 2014 2:30 PM in response to kinaed

Hi,

This sounds like the iPhone and Text Forwarding is almost treating the two Mac user Account like two different computers.

It also sounds like it can only be paired with one.

So after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing you have the User Account paired with the iPhone.

However the Mac end still seems to not send SMS messages.

An SMS sent messages should appear in green (like all the Buddy List accounts also do)

iMessages should appear as sent in blue Bubbles (I much preferred it when you could chose the colour you Sent with).

If you are choosing a Contact that does not have an iPhone you cannot chose an email (potential Apple ID) to send to them.

It has to be the phone number they have.

You may need to make sure their phone number is inclusive of the Country or region code.

Also check the iMessages Account Detail Button (you will need to sign in here as well)

Check the Country Region setting here as well as this can cause issues with plain iMessages to iPhone Numbers.

Check the Contacts app is set up to work for your Country /Region (Preferences > General > Address Format)

If the System Preferences > Date and Time > Time Zone setting is wrong it normally stops Messages even logging in.

User uploaded file

9:30 pm Thursday; October 30, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

My Messages application on my Mac stopped working suddenly. It won't receive or let me send messages from my computer. What should I do to fix this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.