Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help with my MacBook Pro running hot and very slow.

MacBook Running and Hot and SLOW I downloaded Etrecheck and here are the results.

EtreCheck version: 2.0 (81)

Report generated October 9, 2014 8:54:56 PM EDT

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro7,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M - VRAM: 256 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

spdisplays_display_connector

System Software:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Uptime: 8 days 3:41:23

Disk Information:

Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 disk0 : (232.89 GB)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

- (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 249.72 GB (119.65 GB free)

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N

USB Information:

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Problem System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist Support

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist Support

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist Support

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper UNKNOWNHidden (missing value)

AdobeResourceSynchronizer ApplicationHidden (/Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/Support/AdobeResourceSynchronizer.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.4.1 Support

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 15.0.0.152 - SDK 10.6 Support

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 10.1.12 Support

Flash Player: Version: 15.0.0.152 - SDK 10.6 Support

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 10.1.12 Support

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 5.2 Support

Silverlight: Version: 4.0.60531.0 Support

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

User Internet Plug-ins:

Picasa: Version: 1.0 Support

Audio Plug-ins:

iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player Support

Flip4Mac WMV Support

Time Machine:

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU:

11% AdobeReader

4% WindowServer

1% fontd

0% WebProcess

0% ps

Top Processes by Memory:

2.04 GB WebProcess

137 MB Mail

116 MB Safari

116 MB mds

56 MB WindowServer

Virtual Memory Information:

426 MB Free RAM

2.21 GB Active RAM

858 MB Inactive RAM

534 MB Wired RAM

3.72 GB Page-ins

2.71 GB Page-outs

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 6:11 PM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Tinker71

I can't say for sure, but maybe upgrade to Lion or better. You may be able to go from Snow Leopard right to Mavericks... Run disc utility, verify disk, verify and repair permissions. Only have a few things open at the same time. If it helps, remember that closing a window does not mean you have quit the application/program, maybe vacuum out the vents at the bottom, try to use your macbook pro on a hard, level surface. I think there are laptop platforms with a built in USB fan if that helps you any. I got this information from everymac.com so you may have to take it with a pinch of salt. it says that officially your macbook pro may be able to support up to 16 gigs of ram, BUT, only the 13" macbook pro's (identifier: macBook Pro 7,1) can do so , unofficially, provided that that they have been updated to use the latest EFI, running 10.7.5 or later and using proper specification memory modules. you can find out what kind of macbook you have by looking near the hinge, or under "About this Mac" then system report or More Info. Running Activity Monitor could show you what applications are hogging memory and how to shut them down. here's a link to the firmware updates for your machine. (1)

really it depends on the version of the motherboard in your machine. In any event, your macbook pro should have 2 memory slots, and ought to be upgradeable.

EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

next line up

oh, and finally: this is a forum for Mac Pro's, the desktop, not-portable Mac. this is a common mistake-some people see the word "Pro" in macbook pro, and assume that the Mac Pro and the macbook Pro are the same kind of cat. this is not true. Please, next time, Tinker71, post in the correct forum

Oct 10, 2014 6:16 AM in response to Tinker71

Web Process (aka Safari) is using half your RAM

You have 2.71GB of pageouts over 8 days (300MB per day). Not the worst I've seen, but it does indicate you are stressing your memory a bit.

A side effect of pageouts is using your disk more, and that requires keeping the disk running longer, and a disk that is running consumes power, and the side effect of consuming power is heat. That can be a contributing factor.

If all the Safari RAM is devoted to playing videos (such as Facebook automatically starting and playing videos in your feed, even if you are not actually viewing the page, that can consume CPU, which again has the side effect of generating heat).

You should run Activity Montior, and see if you have any processes that are constantly consuming large amounts of CPU.

Your Mac is 4'ish years old. It is always possible it is fully of dust which acts as an insulator so that the built-in fan(s) cannot really remove the heat. If restarting Safari (or a reboot as suggested above) does not solve your problem, you might consider an Genius Bar appointment at a local Apple store and see if they will open your Mac to remove any dust accumulation (it cannot hurt to ask).

I need help with my MacBook Pro running hot and very slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.