Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlocked iphone replaced with a locked one

Last year in October I bought an unlocked iphone 5s in Thailand, I live in Croatia and had some issues with the screen and yesterday apple gave me a new replacement iphone, and the replacement iphone is locked. Been talking with Apple support yesterday for over an hour, and they suspect its locked to US AT&T (but not 100 % sure if its AT&T), they can see the store info where I bought it in Thailand but they say they can't do anything to unlock it, so they gave me phone number of AT&T and said they would unlock it wihout problem.

Anyway then I started talking to AT&T support then and been talking to a couple of managers for over 2 hours, they just keep passing me to another higher level person and in the end they said they couldn't do anything, their best suggestion was that I go from Croatia to the store in Thailand where I bought to iphone so they unlock it.

I did a online check of my Iphone over IME numberI and this is the info I got:

Model: SVC,IPHONE 5S,GSM,16GB,GRAY,CI/AR
MAC: 78FD94CB1455
ICCID:
iOS Version: 8.0.2
Unbricked: false
Unlocked: false
Activation Status: No
First Unbricked Date:
Last Unbricked Date:
Initial Activation Policy: 52 - US GSM Service Policy
Applied Activation Policy: -
Next Tether Policy (Carrier): 52 - US GSM Service Policy

Please help, what should I do?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 9, 2014 11:44 PM

25 replies

Oct 10, 2014 12:41 AM in response to OrangeMarlin

There isn’t a official Apple store in Croatia, I got my replacement from the Apple’s official reseller here, so they are blaming it all on Apple policy.

US Apple support completely agrees I should have an unlocked phone since I’m not in any contract, but they can’t help me and say only AT&T can unlock it, and AT&T is least helpful, they just don’t care about my problem. I called some factory unlockers and they don’t think they can unlocke it, and it cost around 90 $ just to try.

So basicaly I can throw my new iphone 5s in the garbage.

Oct 10, 2014 2:16 AM in response to boris1203

Whatever you do, do not use the factory unlocks, because then you will never be able to use your phone - this amounts to hacking your phone, which will void any warranty cover and perhaps brick your phone for good.

Anyway, what you need to do is go back to the Apple reseller who gave you the replacement phone in the first place and tell them that you had an unlocked phone and that the replacement they gave you is locked to AT&T and you need to demand that you give you another replacement phone that is unlocked.

If you went to the Apple re-seller for help in the first place and they were the ones who gave you the replacement phone, then it is their responsibility to give you another unlocked phone and not one that is locked to a network. They need to replace like with like, so if you went through them, then it is their responsibility and not Apple or AT&T. There is nothing AT&T can do for you to unlock the phone, as you never had a contract with them in the first place and Apple do not unlock phones anyway - only the carriers, so your first port of call must be the re-seller.

However, if you purchased the phone in Thailand you have no warranty cover for Croatia - iPhone warranty is not international, so to get a proper exchange and warranty cover, you will really need to go back to the Apple store in Thailand where you purchased the phone to get a proper unlocked replacement and this iw what you should have done in the first place.

iPhone warranty is not international so the Apple re-seller in Croatia need not have helped you in the first place, which is probably why you got a locked phone as a replacement, but your first port of call is them, as you dealt with them in the first instance.

They gave you a locked phone as a replacement, so ultimately, they need to replace that locked phone with an unlocked phone as you had.

Oct 10, 2014 2:35 AM in response to Ethmoid

What do you mean Iphone warranty is not international?? Of course it’s international, why would they give me a brand new iphone in the first place, btw the way they replace it is to contact Apple hedquarteers here in Europe first and then Apple shipps them a replacement for my phone, its not the reseller that made up this locked phone its Apple that sent it to them when I made a complaint to my iphone I bought in Thailand, everything is under Warranty, do you even know what you’re talking about?

Oct 10, 2014 2:56 AM in response to boris1203

What do you mean Iphone warranty is not international?? Of course it’s international, why would they give me a brand new iphone in the first place, btw the way they replace it is to contact Apple hedquarteers here in Europe first and then Apple shipps them a replacement for my phone, its not the reseller that made up this locked phone its Apple that sent it to them when I made a complaint to my iphone I bought in Thailand, everything is under Warranty, do you even know what you’re talking about?

Actually, no it's not inter nations - except in EU where the warranty is good throughout the union. Did you read your Thai warranty? Here it is in case you missed it: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-rest-of-apac-thai.htm l

This text is at the bottom of the warranty:

"ผู้มีหน้าที่ปฏิบัติตามการรับประกันในภูมิภาคหรือประเทศที่ซื้อ" - translated to English as "User is obligated to perform warranty service in the region or the country of purchase."

My guess is they bent the rules - as they sometimes do.

Oct 10, 2014 3:37 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

What kind of logic is there in what you’re saying, I seriously doubt that they bend the rules so easily and give away new phones if they don’t have to.

Where is the logic that an unlocked iphone (whatever way it was done) bought in Thailand (the apple CS i talked to yesterday knows where it was bought) to be replaced by a locked iphone to US AT&T and delivered to Croatia, even the Apple CS I talked to yesterday admits this is ridiculous.

Apr 21, 2015 4:27 AM in response to boris1203

Hi, pls help me! I have same problem:

Model: SVC,IPHONE 5S,GSM,16GB,GRAY,WUR IMEI: 013852009080176 Serial: F97NG6YDFF9R ICCID: Coverage: Apple Limited Warranty Coverage Start Date: 05/30/14 Coverage End Date: 05/29/15 Activated: Yes Unbricked: True First UnBrick: 02/21/15 Last UnBrick: 04/11/15 Wifi Mac Address: 5C97F34AB37C Bluetooth Mac Address: 5C97F34AB37D Version: 7.1.2 Sold To: Initial Policy: 52 - US GSM Service Policy Applied Policy: 2265 - Retail EasyPay Device Policy NextTether Policy: 2265 - Retail EasyPay Device Policy Purchase Country: United States Purchase Date: 05/30/14 Factory Unlocked: False Simlock: Locked Find My iPhone: OFF

Tell me pls with whom you communicate, and who wrote to back unlock?

Thanx!

Apr 24, 2015 8:48 AM in response to boris1203

Here is my story:

starts same like Boris story.

I try to chating, make all what they ask. They call to support, do all what they ask ))

Then they find samething and send request to AppleEngineeringGroup and tell me: "Wait 1-2 business day all will be OK! Your iPhone is sim-free so it will work perfect." Ask my cell number and promise to callback soon.

It was the third day of waiting, no call no message no result.

Any email of next level support? Maybe samething like TOP-HIGH-BEST-Support team which really can do samething?

unlocked iphone replaced with a locked one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.