Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wine vs. WineBottler vs. WineSkin .. What's the difference? Which is most simple?

Wine vs. WineBottler vs. WineSkin ..

What's the difference? Which is most simple?

Just looking for a quick 1-2-3, super simple, easy to use, no "extra" screens involved .. Just looking for a simple, right-click on any .exe, "Open With" and select whichever WINE will launch the .exe in OSX, right away, without any hassle..

I am not looking to use it for any complex or developer reasons, just a simple OSX user, looking for a quick and painless way to run .exe's on OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 User uploaded file

Do any of these accomplish this? What are the differences between the 3? Which is most recommended for ease of use?

Thanks! User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 1:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:19 PM

Note: I know this is an old thread, and am just posting to help anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

First of all: Wine (just plain wine) is NOT available for Mac, so that leave you with Wineskin, WineBottler, PlayOnMac, or CrossOver.

Wineskin and WineBottler are intended for creating wrappers, which is basically converting it to a Mac application.

Wineskin gives you more customization over your wrapper.

WineBottler also comes with a system that lets you just run any exe on mac just like that.

PlayOnMac lets you download and run supported apps easily, but isn't good for just any exe.

CrossOver is paid software.

If all you want to do is run exes with right-click>Open With, than install WineBottler.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 9:19 PM in response to lip5016

Note: I know this is an old thread, and am just posting to help anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

First of all: Wine (just plain wine) is NOT available for Mac, so that leave you with Wineskin, WineBottler, PlayOnMac, or CrossOver.

Wineskin and WineBottler are intended for creating wrappers, which is basically converting it to a Mac application.

Wineskin gives you more customization over your wrapper.

WineBottler also comes with a system that lets you just run any exe on mac just like that.

PlayOnMac lets you download and run supported apps easily, but isn't good for just any exe.

CrossOver is paid software.

If all you want to do is run exes with right-click>Open With, than install WineBottler.

Oct 10, 2014 3:40 AM in response to lip5016

lip5016 wrote:

Wine vs. WineBottler vs. WineSkin ..

What's the difference?

I've been using them for years, I still can't figure out the difference.

looking for a quick and painless way to run .exe's on OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 User uploaded file

You won't find this with Wine or any of its permutations. The biggest problem is that they won't reliably work for all Windows apps. Second problem is trying to get them installed and working- you won't find clear instructions anywhere. Crossover is somewhat better, but you'll bang your head against the wall after a while trying to get it to work. Parallels or one of the other virtualization apps is more usable, but then you've got Windows on your Mac, which is like ordering a nice dinner at a restaurant and putting a turd on it, and kind of defeats the purpose of having a Mac in the first place (which is that it's not a PC). And then you've got to load it up with antivirus software. I have only one .exe on my Mac and I have gotten it to work with Wine. I've not encountered any other PC apps that were worth the trouble of Crossover or Parallels or VMWare Fusion, or which didn't have Mac alternatives that I could live with.

Wine vs. WineBottler vs. WineSkin .. What's the difference? Which is most simple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.