Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to hide "top movies" on Apple TV

Hi

I'd like to hide the "top movies", "top tv shows" and "top music" that appear on the home page of Apple TV. The "top" items appear as posters next to your purchases when you select the Movies, TV and Music options.

Some of the suggested shows have posters that are terrifying for young kids ... 'American Horror Story' and 'SOA' for example. Music suggestions aren't scary but if given a choice, I'd rather not a poster of Nikki Manaj's *ss pop up when navigating the menu.

I've tried turning on Restrictions, this doesn't change the posters displayed but rather requires a passcode to be entered if you select it to view. It would be nice to have an option in Restrictions that allows you to hide content above your selected rating.

Any ideas? Have searched these forums and web and come up blank.

Unit is an Apple TV 2 (model MD199X) running ATV software version 7.

AppleTV 2, ATV software v 7

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 7:28 AM

This is a must have for Apple TV's especially when they are used in schools! Apple PLEASE give this option to hide the top icons "Movies, TV Show, Music and Radio!

Having these items show is an issue in schools!

16 replies

Jan 4, 2015 10:25 AM in response to SeamiJ

Turning the Purchases & Rentals off DOES NOT remove the music icon, it only removes the Movie and TV Show icons....not good enough for classroom settings since my purchased music shows up and I am a fan of Marylin Manson and metal bands and most covers are highly inappropriate. Only the second generation AppleTV remains perfect for classroom use (as well as being rock-solid: no crash, no loss of wifi...)

Jan 4, 2015 10:45 AM in response to SeamiJ

I think more than the ability to turn such things off they need to make the featured content respect any parental control settings.

Sex Tape (a comedy I believe) appears prominently in the top row on my AppleTVs this week.

I agree about things like American Horror Story - not kid friendly.

As another poster mentions some of my Marilyn Manson album covers might be a bit much.

The thing is it's not just Apple - Netflix have this issue, and the other day using an Amazon FireTv, looking at new content, right in the middle of some Barbie movies was a lady 'pleasuring' another scantily clad woman in the poster for a female prison sex romp movie - nearly fell off my sofa.

Jan 19, 2016 12:09 PM in response to Winston Churchill

That's a good theory...however, I also teach in an elementary school. We just upgraded 20 of our apple tv's to the 4th gen. Great because airplay actually works now. Not great that there is no way to hide top movies or music. Your apple id has nothing to do with that and neither do the restrictions. I would rather not wait another 2 years for apple to fix this like they did the airplay problem in schools.

Feb 9, 2016 3:38 PM in response to tech.integrator

I would like to hide both the 'top' movies and music recommendations, for movies I would prefer to just see specific genres I am interested in, not recommendations based on what other people thinks is popular, why should I care? For music I just want to see what I own and have added to AppleMusic, and possibly again preferred genres, but certainly not a list of rubbish pop music that I'm currently seeing.

Feb 10, 2016 5:45 AM in response to smitchell.rsu2

Yes.

When you start ATV the top left icon is selected which is movies by default. For this icon the banner displays top picks.

As you select other apps, the banner changes - music like movies displays popular choices. Other apps display a static screen.

By moving the movie app out of the first row you eliminate it from being selected when the ATV starts and showing top picks.

Move all the apps you use to the first couple of rows and place something like settings or search in the left corner so you get a nice static screen on startup.

Read this: http://help.apple.com/appletv/#/atvbad14dc6a

Is it possible to hide "top movies" on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.