Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot change my icloud ID

Hi - don't even ask me how it happened, but my icloud account seems to have been set up with a long defunct email address. I have no access to the email account and I don't know what password was originally used to set up icloud. I have a new iPhone 6 and I can't dissable 'Find my Phone' in order reset my account settings and set icloud up with my current email address (the same one that is my current Apple ID and the one I use for iTunes. It's a bit of nightmare - any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 8:19 AM

Make sure you are signed into iMessage and FaceTime with your current ID. If they are signed into the old ID, go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and Settings>FaceTime, tap the ID, sign out, then sign back in with your current ID.

Then temporarily recreate the old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. (You should not have to verify the old email account so it doesn’t matter if you no longer have access to it.) Now go to Settings>iCloud, turn off Find My iDevice and enter your current password when prompted (even though it prompts you for the password for your old ID). Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Sign Out (or Delete Account if you are not running iOS 8) and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign back in with your current iCloud ID and password (your data will download back to your device).

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2014 8:19 AM in response to haynesey1970

Make sure you are signed into iMessage and FaceTime with your current ID. If they are signed into the old ID, go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and Settings>FaceTime, tap the ID, sign out, then sign back in with your current ID.

Then temporarily recreate the old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your current iCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. (You should not have to verify the old email account so it doesn’t matter if you no longer have access to it.) Now go to Settings>iCloud, turn off Find My iDevice and enter your current password when prompted (even though it prompts you for the password for your old ID). Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Sign Out (or Delete Account if you are not running iOS 8) and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign back in with your current iCloud ID and password (your data will download back to your device).

Oct 10, 2014 8:21 AM in response to haynesey1970

I'm having the same issue. .I have tried deleting all my apps and everything. Randomly my screen will pop up with a password request for my old apple id email that I no longer have access to. I cant sign out of find my iphone because I don't remember my old password but all my other apps and things are linked to my new ID . I just want the old one gone, never to return OR POP UP ...please help!

Oct 10, 2014 8:32 AM in response to randers4

Hey - thanks for the advice. I've tried taking the steps you advise (and in fact, Facetime and imessage both had the old/wrong email account), but unfortunately the process stops when I try to change my Apple ID temporarily back to the old/defunct address - it sends a verification email to the old address which I cannot access. It's the constant requirement for me to verify actions/changes from within the old email account that prevents me from making changes in need.

Oct 10, 2014 8:39 AM in response to haynesey1970

If your new ID is an entirely new ID rather than a newer version of your old ID, this won't work. If that's the case, you'll need to contact the Apple account security team for assistance resetting the password for the old ID: Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security. The call should be free (be sure to ask for the account security team) but you will need to provide your device serial number, which is in Settings>General>About.

Once you have the password for your old ID you can use it to turn off Find My iPhone. Then you can sign out of the old account and sign back into your new one. When you sign out, you will be given the option to keep or delete the iCloud data from your phone. If the data is already in your new iCloud account, choose to delete; your data will download to your phone from your new account when you sign back in. If you need to migrate the data to the new account, choose keep; then choose merge when you sign into the new account to upload the data to the new account.

Dec 16, 2014 6:57 AM in response to haynesey1970

i had the same iCloud-problem. I got crazy by getting the same Popup-question over and over again: log in to iCloud with the PassWord for non_existing_email_account@driving_me_crazy.com.

Finally I contacted AppleSupport and they gave me the solution:

- Go to https://appleid.apple.com/

- Click on: Reset Your Password

You get a new window with 'Enter your Apple ID to get started.'

- Fill in the emailadress non_existing_email_account@driving_me_crazy.com

> Next

- You get a new window with 'Please verify your birth date to continue'

> Next

- New window with: 'Select your authentication method.'

And choose for (this is the trick!!!):

Answer security questions: To access your information, you will need to answer the security question(s) provided when you originally created your Apple ID.

- Answer the two security questions.

> Next

Now you get the possibility to change your password for the emailadress non_existing_email_account@driving_me_crazy.com

After doing so I was finally able to login on my iCloud-settings on the iPad with the emailadress non_existing_email_account@driving_me_crazy.com. By doing so you get a prompt that your 'Find my iPhone' setting will be turned off and that was exactly what I needed all the time, as before all my iCloud settings (including 'Search my iPhone' were greyed out).

After this I was able to log out from the iCloud (scroll all the way down, you will find 'Log Out' written in red).

And finally, finally, I could Log In again, with my one_and_only Apple ID.

Good luck! Hope I didn't miss a step :-)

Feb 12, 2015 11:20 AM in response to randers4

Thanks for the info randers4. The only problem is that when I get to: "Now go to Settings>iCloud, turn off Find My iDevice and enter your current password when prompted (even though it prompts you for the password for your old ID)", my current password does not work. Nor does my old password associated with the old Apple ID. I just need to turn off Find My iPhone in the iCloud Settings....Nothing works; I have hit a dead end. What are my options? Restore my iPhone and sdtart from scratch after doing a full back-up?

Feb 21, 2015 1:58 AM in response to shantinirajah

i've tried this too.. and it doesn't work. in my case i changed the email address associated with my apple account. when i try to update it on my phone.. on facetime, messages, or icloud.. i don't get the option to enter the email.. it just asks me for a password of an email address that is no longer associated with my apple account. its enough to drive you mad

Feb 21, 2015 2:11 AM in response to oregonkat

okay just did apple chat and they were a godsend. its happening because i didn't sign out of icloud before i changed my email address. he (or she?) said go to https://appleid.apple.com/, click manager.. temporarily change your email address back to old one (don't verify it), then go to your phone, you'll be allowed to turn off find my phone and sign out of icloud using whatever your current password is. delete it. Then go back to manager your id, change it back to the current email you want to use. go back to your phone and go to icloud and it will let you enter your new apple id and password. when it asks if you want to merge say yes.

Feb 21, 2015 2:13 AM in response to ATStangman

okay just did apple chat and they were a godsend. its happening because i didn't sign out of icloud before i changed my email address. he (or she?) said go to https://appleid.apple.com/, click manager.. temporarily change your email address back to old one (don't verify it), then go to your phone, you'll be allowed to turn off find my phone and sign out of icloud using whatever your current password is. delete it. Then go back to manager your id, change it back to the current email you want to use. go back to your phone and go to icloud and it will let you enter your new apple id and password. when it asks if you want to merge say yes.

I cannot change my icloud ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.