Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought WDC WD3003FZEX 3TB HD (won't format)

hi there,

Ive purchase this hard-drive WD3003FZEX from amazon - it would format upto half way and then stuck there for like hours.

Basically I've plug this hard-drive into ProAvio via SAS cable, this shouldn't be any problems because all other hard-drive is fine...

I wonder if any of you have similar issue?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 9:03 AM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2014 7:17 AM in response to App1eG33k

Hey there App1eG33k,

It sounds like you are having difficulty formatting an external hard drive. I recommend the troubleshooting in the following article to help you get that resolved:

Disk Utility: Unable to format disk 500 GB or larger

Format the disk in the following manner (as described in this article). Note: Simply erasing the drive without partitioning will not resolve the issue.

1. Back up your important data. Important: Partitioning a hard disk erases all data on the disk.
  2. Open Disk Utility:
    • If you're started from a Mac OS X installation disc, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
    • If you're started from your computer's Mac OS X volume, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder. You can get there by choosing Utilities from the Finder's Go menu.
  3. Select the disk you want to erase.
  4. Click the Partition tab in the Disk Utility window. If the partition tab is not visible, make sure you've selected the disk (not volume) in the left side of the window.
    Tip: In Disk Utility, volume names are indented on the left side of the window. Disk names are not indented.
  5. Choose the desired number of partitions from the Volume Scheme pop-up menu. It's OK to choose "1 Partition" if you only want one.
  6. Click Options.
    Note: On some Intel-based Macs, the Options button does not appear under the partition tab. Use the erase tab to erase the disk instead. This will change the partition scheme to the default "GUID Partition Scheme". You can then use the partition tab to create additional partitions if desired.
  7. From the Partition Scheme pop-up menu, choose "GUID Partition Scheme".
  8. Click OK.
  9. Make any other changes you wish in the Volume Information section, such as partition size(s) or naming.
  10. Click the Partition button to erase your disk and install the new partition scheme.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Oct 15, 2014 1:59 AM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling,

Many thanks for your advise, however i've plug this HD "WD3003FZEX" into MAC PRO desktop - It work just fine...

I guess the biggest issue with my "Atto ExpressSAS H680 SAS" (Host Adapter) this may not be compatible with all types of HDs...

I'm going to contact Atto to find out whats going on!

once again thanks for support 🙂

Oct 15, 2014 5:18 AM in response to App1eG33k

Bug in Disk Utility with formatting drives that exceed 2.2TB possibly, though did not know it affected ATTO PCIe connected.

Normally it does affect internal drives. And using an external USB or other interface with a proper drive enclosure works, and allows the user to then move the drive to where it belongs.

I assume other drives as you said do work on it, so it also is a Mac version. And while can't see which model Mac Pro that fact you are running Mavericks must be 2008 or later. 2008's being iffy with PCIe 2.x controllers sometimes.

You can see all 3TB? not just 800GB and 2.2TB with it in the Mac Pro?

Oct 16, 2014 5:09 AM in response to The hatter

Hey hatter,

Maybe you're right - it could be a Bug in "Disk Utility" in Mavericks v10.9.5 - however i'm actually looking forward to try out OS X Yosemite, hopefully my issue should be solve from there....

My system isn't setup as RAID just like individual HD's

Mac Pro -->> Atto ExpressSAS H680 SAS -->> Proavio EB8MS EditBox -->>

3x 2TB WD2002FAEX (all is good as usual Read & Write)

1x WD3003FZEX 3TB (it can see the drive as 3TB but it would hang up during format process especially half way)

When i plug WD3003FZEX 3TB into Mac Pro - it would format all the way 100% successful and it can read and right as usual....

for your information

Mac Pro mid 2010

OS X Mavericks 10.9.5

Bought WDC WD3003FZEX 3TB HD (won't format)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.