Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 keypad during phone call not registering with automated phone calls

Since upgrading to iOS 8, when I call a number that requires a keypad selection to be transferred to the appropriate extension, somehow the automated service does not pick up on my selections. This happens every time I try to call a business that has an automated service that requires a number selection to be connected to the appropriate extension. This is an EXTREME INCONVENIENCE when I am trying to reach my children's pediatrician for a serious matter in which I have had to do in the past 2 weeks. Please fix this Apple!!!!!

iPhone 5, iOS 8, number keypad during phone call

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2017 11:28 AM

I have the same issue with the keypad that has the white background. What I do is click the home button and find the keypad with the black background behind the home screen (in open apps) and select that one and the keys work to navigate the phone tree options on calls.

7 replies

May 9, 2016 8:50 AM in response to aen0404

One thing I've found that causes this issue is that there are actually *two* keypads active during a call. There's the one with the white background, which you get to by tapping the phone app and tapping "keypad" in the bottom row. Then there's the one with the black background that pops up when you make a call and then tap "keypad" from the second of the six options in the center middle of the screen.

If you are on a call, and are hitting selections on the keypad with the white background, they won't be transmitted through the phone call (even though they make the touchtone sound through your phone speakers).

This may not be the issue you are having, but it does account for some instances when this happens. Cheers.

iOS8 keypad during phone call not registering with automated phone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.