Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large dark spot on photos taken with iPhone 6 Plus back camera

HI,

I've just got my new iPhone 6 plus, but when I was taking photos with the back camera, I found that there's a large black spot in the midde, as the picture below shows. The spot still existed after I cleaned the outside of camera. Perhaps something is inside the camera. It seriously affect the outcome of the photos taken. I don't know what to do, this is my first time buying Apple Products.
User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2017 3:03 PM

User uploaded filehow on earth am i going to bang my phone. please help me 😭 it really affect my photos espeacially while scanning documents through my phone

14 replies

Dec 29, 2014 5:17 PM in response to zackschen

I just got the same IDENTICAL thing. Camera has been perfect for a few months then I got exactly the spot you got. Same size...about the same as the shutter release button. It was on the top grid line and to the left of the right grid line.

I came across the following post and followed the directions. It FIXED it! This post was for an iPhone 5 but worked perfectly with my iPhone 6 plus.

Basically, with my 6+ in an Apple silicone case, put the speaker end on my desk, and with the phone around 30 degrees, let it go in an arc to the table. Spot moved. Repeated. Spot gone. Tried it again and third time the spot came back in a DIFFERENT place. There is some piece of debris bouncing around behind the lens.

I have decided not to take phone back since everything else is ok.

And here is the kicker, replacing the phone with one that doesn't have it is NO guarantee a spot won't show up 3, 6 or 9+ months later, just like what happened to me. I suspect it will come back and I will attempt to move it. I use the apple Silicone case and phone is well protected from jolts so it may be some time before I have to do it again.

Jul 9, 2014, 06:36 AM #http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19335817&postcount=14http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19335817&postcount=1414

Daniel Walsh

macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm a bit late in responding, but I just encountered the same problem on my iPhone 5, and discovered a solution that worked for me. Upon looking carefully at the lens of my camera, I noticed that there was a piece of dust on the iPhone's lens, but underneath the glass cover. My idea was to dislodge the dust from the lens. Essentially I banged the rear face of the iPhone against a table, which dislodged the offending debris, and deposited it somewhere else in the enclosure where it was no longer visible.

Details: I placed a piece of printer paper against a very flat table to act as a shock absorber and to avoid scratching. I then placed the bottom rear edge of the iPhone flush against the paper, with the rear of the phone at about a 45 degree angle to the paper and table. At this point the rear camera is facing toward the table (at an angle).

Now hold the top of the iPhone (by the earpiece and sleep button) with one hand while applying a downward force (toward the table) with your other hand on the front display (the forces cancel). Then suddenly release the hand holding the top of the phone and allow the phone to accelerate due to the downward force of your other hand toward the table. What will happen is the entire flat backside of the phone will hit the table simultaneously. Repeat as necessary, And between each try, check the camera app to see if the dust spot has disappeared.

Large dark spot on photos taken with iPhone 6 Plus back camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.