Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send email

On my iPhone 5 when I try to forward mail or send mail to myself I get the message "A copy was left in your Outbox. The recipient was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying." What should I do?

Apple TV

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 12:56 PM

Hello DVous,
After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help in this situation. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice concerning Mail issues:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

"Relaying denied" or "Email address rejected by the server" when you try to send email

This error indicates that either an email address is incorrect or your settings aren't correct for your current connection. Make sure the email address is correct for messages in the Outbox or try a different port:

If you're on a Wi-Fi network connected to the same network as your email domain, such as your Cable or DSL provider, try port 25:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Tap your email account, then tap Account.
  3. Scroll down and tap Outgoing Mail Server.
  4. Tap Primary Server, then tap Server Port.
  5. Delete the current port and enter 25.
  6. Tap Done.

When you connect to a cellular data or a different Wi-Fi network, you need to use an alternate port and authentication, if your email provider supports it. The most common alternate ports are 465 and 587. Check with your email provider for specific settings.

If you still can't send email, you can set up an alternate SMTP server.

Get help troubleshooting iCloud Mail.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2014 12:56 PM in response to DVous

Hello DVous,
After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help in this situation. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice concerning Mail issues:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

"Relaying denied" or "Email address rejected by the server" when you try to send email

This error indicates that either an email address is incorrect or your settings aren't correct for your current connection. Make sure the email address is correct for messages in the Outbox or try a different port:

If you're on a Wi-Fi network connected to the same network as your email domain, such as your Cable or DSL provider, try port 25:

1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  2. Tap your email account, then tap Account.
  3. Scroll down and tap Outgoing Mail Server.
  4. Tap Primary Server, then tap Server Port.
  5. Delete the current port and enter 25.
  6. Tap Done.

When you connect to a cellular data or a different Wi-Fi network, you need to use an alternate port and authentication, if your email provider supports it. The most common alternate ports are 465 and 587. Check with your email provider for specific settings.

If you still can't send email, you can set up an alternate SMTP server.

Get help troubleshooting iCloud Mail.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

BobbyD

Cannot send email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.