Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Sony PXW-X70 (.mxf) video files for Final Cut Pro X or iMovie, please help!

Hi there--

Just got the Sony PXW-X70 and I can't seem to open the .mxf or even successfully transcode the video files into something that can be read on the mac. (Running 10.9.5)

I downloaded Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac and the Ackrock Video Converters and neither of them work. They just are able to import the audio but not the video portion.

Very frustrated here, any advice? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 10, 2014 10:09 PM

8 replies

Oct 14, 2014 7:36 PM in response to Fausto Fernos1

To be able to import Sony XAVC, XDCAM, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM EX MXF media into Final Cut Pro X, you’ll need to download and install the XAVC/XDCAM Plug-in for Apple (PDZK-LT2) provided by Sony, which provides support for XAVC and XDCAM / XDCAM EX files shot on Sony SxS card, allowing viewing and editing capability in Final Cut Pro X. Click hereto read the detail steps.

Oct 19, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Fausto Fernos1

The solution to view and ingest XAVC clips from the PXW-X70 is to download Catalyst Browse, a free software from Sony. Catalyst Browse allows you to convert the files to ProRes for importing into FCP X. It's a workaround until Sony and Apple engineers sort it out.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse

i ordered a PXW-X70, and found this solution in my research.

Cheers,

Gerry

Dec 16, 2014 2:03 PM in response to barneymovie1

The clips from the X70 are not XAVC-S, but XAVC (sometimes called XAVC-L) and the plugin from Sony linked above is not compatible with them. I also don't recommend those sketchy third party conversion options. Still, as of mid-December, the best options for getting Sony X70 XAVC clips into FCPX are:

1. Use the free Sony Catalyst Browse to convert them (one at a time, although you can queue up multiple files without waiting for the previous one to finish)

2. Use the $200 Sony Catalyst Prepare software

3. Shoot AVCHD until there is a solution from Sony - supposedly Sony is at work on a plugin for FCPX to allow native ingest/editing of these clips. I've read that it should arrive very soon, but we'll see.

I'm using option 1 - $200 is ridiculous, and I didn't buy a camera with 10-bit 4:2:2 and a strong codec to shoot in AVCHD 🙂

If it's any consolation, Avid and even Sony Vegas will not import them either.

Jun 17, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Fausto Fernos1

Hey all. Not sure if everyone or anyone has figured out a fix for this, but I was able to on my end. First, you'll need to be updated on all ends, System 10.10.3, Final Cut X 10.2.1, the newest Sony plug in and the newest firmware on your X70. The firmware update from 1.02 to 2.00 is what I was missing but there is still a catch. You will still not be able to import into FCX if you simply insert the card into your reader or copy from the direct folder that you copy to your hard drive. The key here is to remove the folder that says "XDROOT" and place it in its own folder. This folder cannot contain anything else, only the "XDROOT" folder. Then, once in the import menu in FCX, go to that new folder that contains the "XDROOT" folder and you're set. Import works perfectly and you can gaze into the beautiful eyes of 4:2:2 10 bit.

Here are some links to the updates.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-lt2

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-micro -xdcam-downloads-XDCAMSoftwareDownload.s…

That should be it. Enjoy

Can't open Sony PXW-X70 (.mxf) video files for Final Cut Pro X or iMovie, please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.