Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no option for "draft" quality in print options

Hi there,

I have read some of the posts here with regards to attempts to print in "draft" quality mode.

Some answers have been specific only to certain printer models.

Is there a better solution?

My wife and I are using Macbook Air(s). Hers is OS Lion. Mine is Mavericks.

We are both unable to find and print in "draft" quality for both our home and office printers - Brother MFC-J625DW and HP Officejet Pro 8620.

On the other hand, I have an old Macbook running OS Leopard. This Macbook allows me to print in Draft quality with both printers.

So I don't think this is a printer issue but a Mac issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

Regards,

Terence

*sidenote: it is ironic that I have to use Firefox (on Windows OS on Parallels) to type this question in to Apple Communities because Safari on Mac would not. Interface issue. Safari didn't load this text box properly so I cant type on it. And cannot choose the community to post question to.*

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), OS Lion

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 8:08 AM

Your browser/web site problems may be because Apple has screwed up the log in process. If you go to a particular topic thread _before_ logging in, you can't login and go back to that topic as a logged-in user (it shows you logged out when you try to return to a page, even after logging in). Does that seem to fit the issue you had?

On to your printing problem. Sometime after Snow Leopard (maybe Mavericks), Apple and printer manufacturers implemented a new print paradigm - mostly for mobile devices (like iPhone, iPad), called "airprint." Airprint is driverless, minimum options printing. When you add a printer on Mavericks, using the "driverless" driver, it normally says "airprint" in the driver/model name. And the symptoms are that most normal options aren't available.

Try deleting the printer from Print & Scan prefs, then add again and make sure the real driver is found/used.

Read about Airprint:

About AirPrint

Mac Basics: Printing in OS X

PS - on some printers (drivers), draft may be called grayscale or economy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2014 8:08 AM in response to terencetanwm

Your browser/web site problems may be because Apple has screwed up the log in process. If you go to a particular topic thread _before_ logging in, you can't login and go back to that topic as a logged-in user (it shows you logged out when you try to return to a page, even after logging in). Does that seem to fit the issue you had?

On to your printing problem. Sometime after Snow Leopard (maybe Mavericks), Apple and printer manufacturers implemented a new print paradigm - mostly for mobile devices (like iPhone, iPad), called "airprint." Airprint is driverless, minimum options printing. When you add a printer on Mavericks, using the "driverless" driver, it normally says "airprint" in the driver/model name. And the symptoms are that most normal options aren't available.

Try deleting the printer from Print & Scan prefs, then add again and make sure the real driver is found/used.

Read about Airprint:

About AirPrint

Mac Basics: Printing in OS X

PS - on some printers (drivers), draft may be called grayscale or economy

Oct 11, 2014 11:24 AM in response to greg sahli

Thanks loads Greg.

You didnt just answer my question with what to do, but why it happens and how to solve the problem.

Indeed just by deleting the printer (on Airprint) and then adding it back but by the driver manner as mentioned, viola - the extended print options become available.

Thanks loads.

And for safari issue, i couldn't even see the page refreshed when i clicked on like and reply. nothing happened.

i only saw that i have successfully liked, chosen it as solved and am able to reply now, yup you guessed it, on firefox on windows.

no option for "draft" quality in print options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.