Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport utility 6.3.2 does no longer support one of my airport express units

I have to express units, each of which connected to a different usb printer - airport utility does not find one of them and it don't seem to downgrade to a previous utility version - using OS X 10.9.5

thanks for any guidance you can provide

Reg

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 4:27 AM

10 replies

Oct 11, 2014 7:01 AM in response to ReginaldMortimer

Please take a look a the side of the troublesome AirPort Express to locate the model number. It is hard to see....so you may need a magnifying glass and good lighting to see if.

The model number starts with an "A", followed by four numbers.

If you see model number A1084 or A1088, this is an older 8+ year old version of the Express which is not supported by the Mavericks (10.9.x) operating system.

To administer this older Express, you will need a Mac that is running Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leoapard (10.6.x) or a PC with AirPort Utility installed on the computer.

Oct 15, 2014 8:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob - its an A1088 and it was functioning well in my network up to the point where I did a reset - now I understand why.

I am assuming once I get it running again and insert it in my net, I will be able to use it with my USB printer or will it just not be recognizable any more as my devices either run iOS8 or Maverick and beyond.

Thanks again

Reggy

Oct 15, 2014 10:07 AM in response to ReginaldMortimer

I am assuming once I get it running again and insert it in my net, I will be able to use it with my USB printer or will it just not be recognizable any more as my devices either run iOS8 or Maverick and beyond.

If you have.....or can borrow for 10-15 minutes.....a Mac that is running the Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating system, or a PC with AirPort Utility installed on the computer, you should be able to set up the older AirPort Express to "join" the wireless network and use the Express for printing or AirPlay functions.

The bottom line here is that you need a Mac or PC with a 5.x version of AirPort Utility installed on the computer to be able to configure the older version of the Express that you have.

Apr 27, 2015 10:05 PM in response to tonikuosmanen

Thank you SO much tonikuosmanen. I tried the work arounds mentioned, including trying to download the old version of AirPort utility (which simply wouldn't work with my Mavericks). I had seen this show up on my iPhone but didn't trust it. After seeing your post, I tried it and it was as easy as you said. Thanks again!

Airport utility 6.3.2 does no longer support one of my airport express units

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.