Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many times can you "Export - Quicktime movie" the same ProRes 422 file until it starts to lose quality?

Lets say you are done with your project & you want an uncompressed copy of it as your master. If you keep importing it back into Final Cut Pro, & keep exporting (Quicktime movie), will it ever start to lose quality?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 12:16 PM

I've never seen a number given, but would think it is very high.

Apple describes ProRes here:

About Apple ProRes

And in that document says:

"while remaining visually lossless through many generations of decoding and reencoding."

I don't think I've ever seen degradation caused by recompression or multiple compassion, but as a workflow if you output a master file, then re-import it to add graphics and export that, you would only be 1 generation down from the master file. If you wanted to make multiple versions, you can always go back to, and re-import, the master file and make the changes, then export, so all you exports stay only 1 generation down from the master file.

MtD

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2014 12:16 PM in response to JetKidd

I've never seen a number given, but would think it is very high.

Apple describes ProRes here:

About Apple ProRes

And in that document says:

"while remaining visually lossless through many generations of decoding and reencoding."

I don't think I've ever seen degradation caused by recompression or multiple compassion, but as a workflow if you output a master file, then re-import it to add graphics and export that, you would only be 1 generation down from the master file. If you wanted to make multiple versions, you can always go back to, and re-import, the master file and make the changes, then export, so all you exports stay only 1 generation down from the master file.

MtD

How many times can you "Export - Quicktime movie" the same ProRes 422 file until it starts to lose quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.