Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CNET wrapper download and malwares

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro late 2008 with Mac Os 10.6.8 installed. Some days ago I downloaded an app from download.cnet.com and I ended up in troubles. It was long time ago that I didn't downloaded anything from there, but I have always found such a website quite reliable. I never had problems with that. This time, I noticed that they changed the way of downloading stuff: everything was done through a CNET wrapper app. Ok, I downloaded it and I installed it, together with the app I wanted to install originally.

Result: I got the app that I wanted, but together with a lot of ****. Now when I open google with Safari I get commercial banners that pop up, and I am quite sure that I also got some spyware/malware etc. Did anyone incurred in the same problem? How to solve that? I am attempted to initialize the disk, reinstall the OS and use some old backup from Time Machine. Any other suggestions?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 4:16 AM

CNet should be avoided, similarly Softonic, in particular. Read and use the information contained here ...

http://www.thesafemac.com/admedic/

4 replies

CNET wrapper download and malwares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.