Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replaced the battery and trackpad, now the fan runs on high and the machine is slow

So I thought I'd hook up my wifes '09 Macbook pro (5,5) by replacing the fairly dead battery and trackpad that was no longer working well. Got the new hardware in and now, as soon as the machine turns on the fan goes to high gear and stays there. Also the machine seems to be running slower than usual.

I did a little research and based on what I saw, reset the SMC (which on this machine from what I can tell amounts to: unplug the battery, hold down the power button for 5 seconds, plug battery back in and turn on,yes?)

Fan is still roaring, machine is still pretty slow (slow to open apps, lagging keystrokes etc).

Can anyone offer any additional advice? I'd hate to take it in and spend a bunch of money if its a relatively easy fix. thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 8:42 AM

2 replies

Oct 14, 2014 7:54 AM in response to Wolfybass

Hello Wolfybass,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

The method to reset the SMC you provided in your post is not correct. To reset the SMC on a 2009 MacBook Pro, please do the following steps.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Cheers,

Alex H.

Oct 14, 2014 8:19 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks Alex, just tried this and it seems like it worked, however the fan still cranks. When I turn the machine on, the fan ramps up before even the screen lights up. Not sure if that tells you anything, but it leads me to think its not an OS issue.

It was recommended to me to open it back up, and make sure nothing is out of place or had shifted. I'll probably pop the hood and blow it out with some compressed air. I don't know if the heat sensor got bumped or something like that. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Jake

Replaced the battery and trackpad, now the fan runs on high and the machine is slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.