Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I changed my gmail password after suspicious activity was detected. It works fine on my computer but my iphone 5 doesn't recognize my new password ("cannot get mail" message). I've tried changing my phone settings to the new password, but no good.

I changed my gmail password after suspicious activity was detected. It works fine on my computer but my iphone 5 doesn't recognize my new password ("cannot get mail" message). I've tried changing my phone settings to the new password, but no good.

iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 7:57 AM

Hello there dinadinadina,

It sounds like you have modified the password settings for your Gmail account after changing the password. Thats where I would have started too. Next I would restart the device and test it one more time, and then remove and add the account again in Settings:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. Delete the affected email account from your device.
    1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    2. Tap the affected email account.
    3. Tap Delete Account.
    4. Add your account again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2014 7:57 AM in response to dinadinadina

Hello there dinadinadina,

It sounds like you have modified the password settings for your Gmail account after changing the password. Thats where I would have started too. Next I would restart the device and test it one more time, and then remove and add the account again in Settings:

Get help with Mail on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1. Restart your iOS device.
  2. Delete the affected email account from your device.
    1. Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    2. Tap the affected email account.
    3. Tap Delete Account.
    4. Add your account again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Oct 14, 2014 9:55 AM in response to sterling r

Hello, thanks for your response. I actually tried doing both of those things. Nothing has worked. I'm more concerned now because my Notes have suddenly disappeared as well as the items in my Calendar. (I'm not sure if that's related to the deleted Gmail account on my phone.) It's suspicious because some of my contacts are suddenly without a name (only a phone number). I'm afraid I may have a virus on my phone. I plan to take it to the Apple store today, and hopefully someone can fix it! (I can't remember when I last backed up my phone or if it even backs up the Notes, but I did have a lot of info in there.)

Sep 14, 2015 3:19 AM in response to dinadinadina

I had the same problem after a suspicious log in, I changed my password.

You just need to create an 'app password' and replace your old password...

Go to: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

then click on 'How to generate an app password' and follow the instructions.

e.g I went to app passwords, selected Mail - Mac - added the 16 digit code in the password box and it worked!

For my iPhone I did need to delete my account & re-add using the App Password but it re-added all my calendar info, notes etc as they were previously saved on my gmail account.

Hope this helps as I spent ages looking for this answer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.