Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Condensation under camera lens

I went for a jog with my brand new iPhone 6 in an armband. It was actually an old armband that fit my 4S so the top forth of my 6 was not even covered or enclosed. It was about 70 degrees and low humidity (Colorado) so I wasn't sweating much. About two miles into my run I went to take a photo and realized condensation had built up behind the glass of the lens. All of my photos now appear cloudy because the lens is being obstructed by the moisture. Even if it eventually dries out, I'm worried it will leave a film on the inside of the glass.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm wondering if it's a flaw or a faulty seal around the lens because condensation shouldn't have gotten inside the lens so easily. It's one thing to hike with your phone in the rain, submerge it in water, or leave it in the bathroom during a super steamy shower, but just touching clammy skin? Seems like a defect to me. I didn't even think twice about wearing my 6 in an armband because it's something I did with my 4S hundreds of times over the years without any issues.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 11:54 AM

If its just condensation you'll likely be alright. As its a new phone take it back to whoever you bought it from and tell them about it.

10 replies

Oct 12, 2014 12:12 PM in response to pogster

Unfortunately there seems to be a film left on the glass where the condensation has dried so my photos still look somewhat cloudy. I went to both the Apple Store and Verizon and neither had any solutions other than "attempting" to replace the camera or just buying a brand new phone. Apple considers it "liquid" so it's not covered under warranty even though my phone never got "wet" per se. It's very disappointing. The Apple Store used to be so helpful.

Oct 12, 2014 1:04 PM in response to WiseJD

Not true apparently. Condensation under the lens is actually considered liquid damage according to the genius I spoke to even though the diagnostics and visual inspection showed no additional moisture elsewhere in my phone (they cracked it open to check). I also called customer care to verify this because I wasn't satisfied with my experience at my local Apple Store. Obviously my phone hadn't been in contact with any liquid and passed the inspection yet they still consider it liquid and not covered under warranty. The rep on the phone also said that this isn't a common problem (so far) so it's unlikely that it's a defect or fault seal.

Oct 12, 2014 1:08 PM in response to pogster

Because I want to wait and see if the condensation eventually evaporates without leaving a film on the glass before paying additional money to fix it. I already paid $300 for this phone! It angers me to have to pay more within a day of receiving it to fix something that in my opinion is bad design. They also don't guarantee that replacing the camera unit will fix it, in which case I'm on the line for the cost of a replacement phone. I'd also like to wait and see if more people start coming forward with this same issue.

Oct 12, 2014 1:31 PM in response to pogster

Yes, there appears (or "seems") to be some sort of film on the glass, but I can't really tell. It could just be lingering moisture beads, but it's difficult to tell. All I know for sure is something is still obstructing the lens and affecting my photos. It has only been about 24 hours. It seems a bit premature to pull the trigger on replacing camera. I'd rather wait a few more days and see what happens before shelling out more cash.

Condensation under camera lens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.